I prolly already said this in this thread, but whatever- I love my old daisy wheel 18.5" Red Head Bar-B-Q-Kettle. When I'm cookin on it, it just screams Americana and simpler times.

I'm definitely a believer in the Weber Kettles. Grabbed mine off of CL for $40. Put a new hinged grate and thermometer in it and been cooking like crazy since then.

I do have a question for you all. How do you go about cooking for big groups. I've done steaks, burgers, corn on the cob for 10-20 people before and it seems like i'm constantly battling to keep the grill at high heat.

I was thinking about banking the coals against one side and just keep feeding in unlit charcoal.

Any suggestions?

Bank them to one side behind a couple of fire bricks and grill indirect, open the bottom vent and let it rip ..you can adjust the heat from that point by adjusting the bottom vent, top open wide open

I'm definitely a believer in the Weber Kettles. Grabbed mine off of CL for $40. Put a new hinged grate and thermometer in it and been cooking like crazy since then.

I do have a question for you all. How do you go about cooking for big groups. I've done steaks, burgers, corn on the cob for 10-20 people before and it seems like i'm constantly battling to keep the grill at high heat.

I was thinking about banking the coals against one side and just keep feeding in unlit charcoal.

Any suggestions?
I cheat and have two kettles. This is the best example of coal arangement options I've seen.
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

I've had my little kettle sitting under it's cover for a long time now, grilling on the Weber E310 and smoking on the 18.5" WSM, but this thread has got me fired up to pull the kettle out and clean it up - I've grilled many a killer burger and steak on that thing (and it's father, who sadly passed on about five years ago)...

Kettles are awesome! I did my standing rib roast in my 18 WSM because it is the easiest to control to about 225°. As it neared the desired IT, I fired up a kettle with a full chimney of lump for a sear to finish it. After the roast was seared, I closed it up to save the rest of the lump. The next day I relit the lump in the kettle and set the vents for about 275° and put a couple hours on the ribs trimmed from the roast before serving. They were great!

Can't beat the WSM for low 'n slow cooks but overall, the kettle is the one capable of doing it all!

Showed the Kettle Some Love

Found this girl on CL for $40. Put a new Hinged grate and been cooking away ever since. Wanted to post some pics of the kettle.

Cooked these wings yesterday:
PhotoDec2912716PM_zps92838baf.jpg

I realized that I needed to touch up the paint around my handles and give the grill a good bath.

Masked off the lid:
PhotoDec3012318PM_zpsd415ab9d.jpg

Cleaned out the bowl and got charcoal baskets (Had a lowes and HD Gift Card)
PhotoDec3024715PM_zpsef016fa9.jpg

Also did a little mod. Took out the ash pan and put in this 12 QT pail for the ash. It fits good. Thinking about notching out for the legs so that I can get it closer. It's a big improvement over the pan though.
PhotoDec3024730PM_zps2f5414ff.jpg

Finished handle up close. (The rust was right at the base of the handle on each side) I used rustoleum engine enamel.
PhotoDec3024758PM_zps981b52c8.jpg

All cleaned up.
PhotoDec3024754PM_zps37c76d70.jpg

Will probably ditch the 2x4 for something metal to hold the bucket closer.

Just picked up a blue OTG new and am in the process of the maiden voyage. I've got a WSM and a offset but was always jealous of kettle owners. Now I'm in!

My family photos:
FQCQIdDl.jpg

6hCol6il.jpg

RTTFJSVl.jpg

fbw0X2ul.jpg

8ErNEdel.jpg

My first Weber product was the 22 WSM, but my first kettle was a 2013 Green OTG. Then I purchased the 83 brownie from WKC member cb4004. Then came the Lime Green SJ and the blue OTG. This was about the time the girlfriend started getting worried. ;)
Then the Red Daisy-Wheeler was purchased at an estate sale that Bman helped me find. Later I got a Plum SS Performer that I scored on Craigslist. A few weeks after that, glrasmussen was nice enough to be an agent for me on an 18 inch MBH faded black. Below is some before/after pictures of the 70's faded black 18" and my '83 Brownie 22".
BEFORE:
9RCImvjl.jpg

jWMUoJOl.jpg

AFTER:
9WV7xuhl.jpg

DaJIZSwl.jpg

IMuOwyel.jpg

BEFORE:
EcQJDCdl.jpg

5kaJ0Bul.jpg

cxEf8Qol.jpg

AFTER:
kiyIev2l.jpg

5WjuQ9el.jpg

lOqcNhEl.jpg

During this time I've had two other SS Performers slip in and out of my possession. My Plum SS with gas I traded to MINIGrillin for a Red SS Performer with gas. They were both great grills and I definitely had both of them for too short of a time. They both cooked up some good rib-eyes for me while I had them. ;D
UzNCKXpl.jpg

ICwQt2Il.jpg

87r5Atal.jpg

I decided though that I liked the look and simplicity of the standard SS Performer and found a guy to trade for my gas SS. I even got a Go-Anywhere out of the deal too! My new SS is in even better shape and is my every-day cooker now. I even added some new wooden handles on top. 8)
RefACQOl.jpg

bCYMEaQl.jpg

Cheers!

Family portrait:

010114_familyportrait.jpg

About to grill some burgers on the kettle and later tonight will fire up the smoker for a butt.

Another SS Redhead Perdormer on Las Vegas CL

The $50 one that I posted about the other day is still up, but now this one has been lowered from$120 to $100. Two SS red heads up at the same time .....amazing!

I need to update my Sig and post a pic... recently acquired a beautiful blueberry and a bodacious brownie daisy wheel... the wife is always concerned about my "problem" but she fully endorsed the acquisition of both! :thumb:

I need to update my Sig and post a pic... recently acquired a beautiful blueberry and a bodacious brownie daisy wheel... the wife is always concerned about my "problem" but she fully endorsed the acquisition of both! :thumb:

Oh yes, pics, please!!!

Weber Kettles rock!

I just started Qing about 7 or 8 years ago on a Smokey Joe Silver, and I swear I used that thing at least 3 times a week for the whole time.

I recently just upgraded to a 22.5 OTG and have been having a great time cooking EVERYTHING on it! I've used it so much in the last 4 or 5 months that the inside already looks like it's 4 years old.

I did a whole 23lb turkey the other day for the first time and the results were amazing. I was pretty intimidated going into that project, but the banked-indirect method with an aluminum foil heat shield worked flawlessly!

Thanks to all the brethren for all the great advice and tips on how to keep that Sweet Blue rolling on the Weber!

Now I'm thinking about getting a WSM. Pretty soon I'm going to be that crazy guy with 5 Webers!

Back