拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
aawa
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dinner Last Night w/ pron

Well my buddy that was laid up is finally mobile w/ crutches. So I invited him over for dinner. Also another buddy who is a month+ out of his gastro-bypass surgery is able to eat solid foods now and I invited him along with a few others(including my landlord) over for dinner.

I busted out the beef short ribs to do up, and some chicken breasts for my buddy with gastro-bypass.

The rib plates i trimmed up and the marbling was looking good on them, along with fatty pockets which I trimmed up so they rendered out to the yummy dericious fat.

I moisturized the ribs with based on an APL mixture of mustard, apple cider vinegar, worchestershire sauce and then rubbed them down with some kosher salt, season salt, course ground pepper, chili powder, cayenne.

After almost 5 hours it was time to get the glaze onto the ribs and really let it soak in. I based it off APL's wrapping mixture with tweaks. I used better than bullion beef base, Diesel Daves maple syrup, mustard, water, and butter.

I didn't get the prep of the boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I ended up brining them on a recipe based on PatioDaddio's turkey brine. Salt, dark brown sugar, lemon, orange, all spice, thyme, rosemary. I brined them for 4 hoursish and then took them out and patted dry and applied a left over chicken rub I made a while back (aka I dont remember what the recipe was) before I threw them on my UDS.

I pulled the ribs off and let them rest in the wrap after I vented the heat off of them. I then allowed the chicken to come up to 140 degrees internal temperature (no chicken picks yet) and got one of my trusty performers setup with 2 zone fire.

I then put the chicken directly over the coals and basted with JMoney's red sauce 2 while the other 2 i left unsauced. I flipped the chicken ever couple of minutes to ensure even cooking and basted the 2 breasts continously with the sauce.

While I was doing that I put the ribs in the oven and reinforced the glaze with some leftovers to help really build the flavor on the ribs. Here are some finished shots of the ribs and chicken.

Sauced chicken

Unsauced

I then took the short ribs off the bone and sliced them up. On the cutting board I had a slicing dressing using lemon juice and zest, olive oil, fleur de sel, and flat leaf parsley.

when plated up I sprinkled some chopped parsley and fleur de sel over the sliced ribs.

My plate. Roommate's gf made an amazing spinach, raspberry, pine nut, goat cheese salad, I also had some of my asian style sweet and spicy pickled onions, cucumbers, and banana peppers, some mixed veg, texas toast, short ribs and chicken breast.

They all said they had never had short ribs like this before and it was incredible. A nice compliment from them really made the dinner worth it.

Thanks for looking.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen

Want to meet some others with the obsession of BBQ? Clicky for the planning of the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Brethren Bash
aawa is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Absolutely Beautiful!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Member KCBS, FBA, CBJ, and Founder French Bbq Association www.kcbs.fr
CharredApron is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Stingerhook
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Great lookin cook.

UDS now resurrected, Weber Smoke N Grill, Bass Pro Water Smoker, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stainless ECB, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

Looks awesome. Nice work!

Unread 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Bigr314
is One Chatty Farker

Great job on those ribs.

Unread 12-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
ssv3
Babbling Farker

Oh yeah! Nicely done
Blackstone Griddle 36
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ, WGA
PBC

Member of "THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 5

Those ribs look awesome!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Great cook! You made those ribs look, well, now I'm hungry again and I just ate an hour ago.

Got a stick-burner!
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Beef short ribs has become my favorite thing to bbq. There is something just luxurious and luscious about the flavor and texture that makes it oh so good.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS

Want to meet some others with the obsession of BBQ? Clicky for the planning of the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Brethren Bash

Unread 12-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Beef short ribs has become my favorite thing to bbq. There is something just luxurious and luscious about the flavor and texture that makes it oh so good.
Mine too. That was my goal this past summer. To get beef ribs right. And that I did. Just love em. I went to SAMs and bought a cryovac ( not sure that word is spelled right) of their short ribs. Two racks, three bones each. It cost over 50.00. But I got to tell ya. They were awesome! One bone was a meal.

Got a stick-burner!
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Mine too. That was my goal this past summer. To get beef ribs right. And that I did. Just love em. I went to SAMs and bought a cryovac ( not sure that word is spelled right) of their short ribs. Two racks, three bones each. It cost over 50.00. But I got to tell ya. They were awesome! One bone was a meal.
Yeah this summer, I went through 4 cryovac worth of short ribs. Each cryovac was 4 plates, 4 bones each. All of them over $50. It was worth it to finally be able to do them right. This is the second time I did short ribs for people other than my roommates because the first 2 times I didn't get them completely right. Then the final 2 I nailed. It was worth spending the extra money to learn how to do the short ribs, but they are definitely a show stopper at a dinner.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS

Unread 12-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker

That there is one beautiful bunch of goodness

Michigan Custom Cue "Serving those that have served us"

][][][%er

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

To quote that TV farker: BAM!!!!!!

Unread 12-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
TuscaloosaQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Good Lord!!!!! Brother you just plum showed out!!!!! Man that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking cook!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote