Ham Pron Thread - Let's See 'Em - Ham It Up!

Oooooo! I'll play!

tdpic_zpsb082fff1.jpg

plate_zps01746f5b.jpg

Tell Redhot her ham looks great and so do the sides.

We all know she cooked it :laugh:

And thanks guys, now I wish I knew how to cook so I could have a ham that looks that great....

What is that side dish with the peas?? I must have recipe!

It's Redhot's Granny's recipe. I asked (Telling her about your compliment of course :mrgreen:), and she said she'd post it here in gtr's thread. :thumb:

Hey cirk, I typed up my granny's English pea casserole recipe this morning which is something I've been needing to do. It's kind of funny how this recipe came about so let me share.
When my son was young, he hated veggies but loved creamy, cheesy dishes. Granny had a recipe for sweet pea casserole but didn't have quite the right ingredients so she improvised, and the results were fantastic! This became a staple holiday dish in my family and is Shawn's all time favorite holiday side, even to this day (he's 22 now). I'm sure other people make this but to me, it will always be Granny's English pea casserole!

GrannysEnglishPeaCasserole_zps6f03ebce.jpg

Granny’s English Pea Casserole

4 15 oz. cans Lesueur’s Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 large can French fried onions
1 ½ soup cans whole milk *see note
1 ½ - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (other cheeses can be used to change flavor)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix soup, milk, cheese, ½ can of French fried onions, salt and pepper well in a mixing bowl. Transfer soup mixture to pan you will be cooking in (9x11 or a deep disposable foil pan), add drained peas and fold in gently. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir gently. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. The casserole should be quite thick; you can add more cheese at this time if you want it thicker. Sprinkle top with remaining ½ can French fried onions and bake until onions are lightly browned.
*I used half whole milk, half buttermilk this time and it was better than ever! I have also used heavy whipping cream in place of the milk which makes for a very rich casserole. You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.

Hey cirk, I typed up my granny's English pea casserole recipe this morning which is something I've been needing to do. It's kind of funny how this recipe came about so let me share.
When my son was young, he hated veggies but loved creamy, cheesy dishes. Granny had a recipe for sweet pea casserole but didn't have quite the right ingredients so she improvised, and the results were fantastic! This became a staple holiday dish in my family and is Shawn's all time favorite holiday side, even to this day (he's 22 now). I'm sure other people make this but to me, it will always be Granny's English pea casserole!

GrannysEnglishPeaCasserole_zps6f03ebce.jpg

Granny’s English Pea Casserole

4 15 oz. cans Lesueur’s Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 large can French fried onions
1 ½ soup cans whole milk *see note
1 ½ - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (other cheeses can be used to change flavor)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix soup, milk, cheese, ½ can of French fried onions, salt and pepper well in a mixing bowl. Transfer soup mixture to pan you will be cooking in (9x11 or a deep disposable foil pan), add drained peas and fold in gently. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir gently. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. The casserole should be quite thick; you can add more cheese at this time if you want it thicker. Sprinkle top with remaining ½ can French fried onions and bake until onions are lightly browned.
*I used half whole milk, half buttermilk this time and it was better than ever! I have also used heavy whipping cream in place of the milk which makes for a very rich casserole. You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.

Great story and recipe! Thanks! When grandma's improvise it's usually wonderful...

I bought a 8.5 lbs cured,uncooked ham at IKEA last weekend.... How do I cook it?
thanks

phrasty, what cut is that in the cross-section photo? there's no bone, but looks just like a whole ham.

thanks phrasty, would you describe the taste/texture of cured shoulder vs leg?

So I went with the cloves like you told me Guerry. I only broke one tooth too! :tsk:

Those things should come with instructions, like pull the cloves out before you glaze the ham because you'll forget later and bite one you dumb farker. You know, or something along those lines.

Seriously though, this is the only shot I got. I guess we'll just have to wait till next year to see the finished pics. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Jason, I think YOU need to come with instructions sometimes*...:heh:

Nice placement!

* Bet your wife does too. :laugh:

Sorry, no pix, but I tried Deguerre's recipe with the Habanero Death Dust glaze. Best ham I've ever had! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

BTW, I used a spiral sliced ham, and the edges started to curl up. May try unsliced next time, but it was nice to have that glaze dripping down into the slices.

Interesting. My concern with the pre-sliced ham would be that it would dry out faster. Aside from a little curling did you have any moisture issues?

Jason, I think YOU need to come with instructions sometimes*...:heh:

Nice placement!

* Bet your wife does too. :laugh:

Nah, I'm pretty much an open book.

Buy meat.
Open beer.
Light Smoker.
Open beer.
Cut finger.
Get band aid.
Open beer.
Turn on the game.
Open beer.
Pull meat.
Burn finger.
Open beer.
Bite clove.
Chug beer to wash down nasty clove flavor.
Eat.

Repeat

Now when we start talking wives....

^^^ lol Jason, thanks for the laugh!

I cooked a ham before Thanksgiving for deer season, does that count? :becky:

Back