עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Truck Stop BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I believe sugar starts to turn amber around 320*. It starts to brown around 340* and burns at 350*. You might try switching from brown sugar to turbinado sugar, lowering your temps to 325* and tenting with foil when it starts to turn golden. Just be sure to keep an accurate temp on your IT for safety.

Unread 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

To much smoke will make 'em look like coal miners at midnight and to many drippings hitting the fire will too. Turkeys at least every one I ever cooked gave off a plenty of 'em, good reason to do whole birds in a pan.I usually break mine down to white & dark meat( no segregation jokes)since they cook at different rates and finish at different temps.
If you take aawas rub and mix it in a cup or so of mayo and paint it on a dry bird skin it'll make you a buzzard rockstar.

Unread 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

It isn't just the sugar in the rub. Too much rub - think shake and bake layer- can also do this. On pork butts and everything. Medium layer so you can still see the meat is the way i've learned to do it now.

I did a bird last year with just kosher salt and course pepper like Franklin does in hisbPBS his pbe video and loved it. I'll hopefully be doing another next weekend. I don't like BBQ rubs on poultry. I like traditional. Give it a shot.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Use foil to tent your bird when you get the golden brown color you want...

Lang 36 Patio - Kamado BigJoe
30" Gasser(Dock Box)

MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #20
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Try this Easy To Find Rub on Birds......

Unread 11-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
cmwr
is one Smokin' Farker

I am gonna experiment with another rub for sure. I am learning from people here about UDS temps at different zones and I am thinking that when my thermometer was running in the 320-335 range the center temp was about 50 degrees higher according to a member here. That put at least part of my smoking time in the 375 on up range. So I quite possible had too sugary of a rub (I did rub it on generously shake n bake style) combined with too much heat. I will make sure I remember to ad 50 degrees to my thermometer next time for everything I smoke. I now learn that all the ribs I have done have probably been around 300 instead of 225-250. I bet armed with this knowledge now I can get my ribs to fall off the bone more by adding a couple more hours cooking time. Wish I had known this sooner lol.

While all the rubs mentioned in this thread sound very yummy I got to be carefull of the saltiness of them because my favorite injection is plenty of garlic and salt. I don't want to get them too salty.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
PappaOscar
Full Fledged Farker

I use a mango habanero seasoning made by Red Monkey foods on my birds. Its awsome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-11-30-10-24-15.jpg (22.6 KB, 70 views)

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
To much smoke will make 'em look like coal miners at midnight and to many drippings hitting the fire will too. Turkeys at least every one I ever cooked gave off a plenty of 'em, good reason to do whole birds in a pan.I usually break mine down to white & dark meat( no segregation jokes)since they cook at different rates and finish at different temps.
If you take aawas rub and mix it in a cup or so of mayo and paint it on a dry bird skin it'll make you a buzzard rockstar.
Big birds just catch part of the drippings and let the rest go to the fire....spatch and let the bird ride to 160-165 in the breast ....if you take it out at 160 it'll carry over to 165 and you'll have a perfect bird.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks just like my first Turkey i did 30+ years ago on a El cheapo brinkman smoker that i won and had no clue of how to use it.

Instructions called to soak the wood for several hrs. and use about 3 or 4 chunks. I thought that if 3 or 4 chunks of wood is good, (more is better) 10 or 12 pieces should do the trick.

I lined up the family in front of the smoker when we got home from church to take the first peek, it reminded me of a black meteorite. Nut burned up,just as black as shoe polish. Meat was fabulous, the skin however had to be discarded.
I am still being reminded about that one every now and then.
Thank's to this site and my Brethren,the end results are fantastic with everything i cook now.
18.5" Weber------OTS
14" Weber---- Smokey Joe
55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #25
cmwr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Looks just like my first Turkey i did 30+ years ago on a El cheapo brinkman smoker that i won and had no clue of how to use it.

Instructions called to soak the wood for several hrs. and use about 3 or 4 chunks. I thought that if 3 or 4 chunks of wood is good, (more is better) 10 or 12 pieces should do the trick.

I lined up the family in front of the smoker when we got home from church to take the first peek, it reminded me of a black meteorite. Nut burned up,just as black as shoe polish. Meat was fabulous, the skin however had to be discarded.
I am still being reminded about that one every now and then.
Thank's to this site and my Brethren,the end results are fantastic with everything i cook now.

Well here's one thing I wonder about. Doesn't charcoal smoke as well? So I mean even if you put no wood chunks in at all won't the kingsford smoke the whole time?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
xjcrazy
Knows what a fatty is.

Just curious, was it a self basting turkey? Don't know if it affects smoking a bird but I remember deep frying a self basting turkey one time and it turned out just like you said, done and juicy inside but burnt on the outside
xjcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
MDG3
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
Well here's one thing I wonder about. Doesn't charcoal smoke as well? So I mean even if you put no wood chunks in at all won't the kingsford smoke the whole time?
My family doesn't like too much smoke on there birds ( ) so I just use charcoal and yes it still smokes enough without overpowering the product.

Unread 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been using cheese cloth on the breast & top of the legs! I then paint it with melted butter! I take it off the last hour of the cook & let it brown out! Also keeps the breast meat juicy! You can do with bacon too! I have done 13 Turkeys that way since 10-30-13. Just sayin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 (4).jpg (70.9 KB, 31 views)
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Painted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 (15).JPG (302.4 KB, 31 views)

Unread 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006 (6).jpg (51.9 KB, 30 views)