MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #121
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

My name is Eric (Bubba) Burkhart and I am running for the Board of Directors this year. Although what the Board decides to do this year I unfortunately don't have a say in their decision. Everyone asks me on my opinion on this so here you go. Why are we even having a discussion on this? What I would like is to have a rule that simply says what I have to cook not how i can cook it. If we had a rule that said it must be a Boston Butt, Picnic or Whole Shoulder weighing a minimum of 5 lbs bone in or out. At a competition I don't have time to worry what someone else is doing. I believe that KCBS should only tell you what to cook not how to cook.

I was Can Cooking when Can Cooking wasn't Cool
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #122
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I believe that KCBS should only tell you what to cook not how to cook.
This is something that the sous-vide chicken people will be delighted to hear.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #123
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa RnQ View Post
You should be in politics your great at twisting peoples words.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #124
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa RnQ View Post
I clearly don't think he means you can use any type of cooking heat source like you would need electric for a stable sous vide heat. Just use the current charcoal, wood, pellets, etc it then you can manipulate the meat to your choosing after inspection.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #125
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Actually there's been a tiescoreser in place since 2011
http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/march2011bullsheet.pdf

Rules Committee: Candy Weaver
The following changes to the rules for Team of the Year for the 2011
calendar year, are proposed. These will go into effect immediately.
Candy Weaver made a motion in order to prevent a tie in the top 20
positions, the following procedures be applied. Look at the 11th. place
scores of the contests of each tied team. The team with the most 1st
place scores is the winner. If this does not break the tie, look to the
eleventh contest cooked by the tied teams. This contest score will be
factored in with the other ten contest scores. Should this not break the
tie, continue with contest 12. Should a team not have cooked more than
10 contests, a zero will be input for the tiebreaking contest. Of Jan 1,
2011. The motion was seconded by Merl Whitebook.
Vote:10 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions
This is confusing to understand. Look at 11th place scores of the contests of each tied teams then next sentence the team with the most 1st place scores is the winner. Can you explain what this means or if Candy could explain it would be better since it was her motion.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #126
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
This is confusing to understand. Look at 11th place scores of the contests of each tied teams then next sentence the team with the most 1st place scores is the winner. Can you explain what this means or if Candy could explain it would be better since it was her motion.
Your right and that was a topic of discussion during a meeting of the board tonight. It has been corrected to read as the original motion was made.

In order to prevent a tie in the top 20 positions, the following procedures be applied. Look at the place scores of the contests of each tied team. The team with the most 1st place scores is the winner. If this does not break the tie, look to the eleventh contest cooked by the tied teams. This contest score will be factored in with the other ten contest scores. Should this not break the tie, continue with contest 12. Should a team not have cooked more than 10 contests, a zero will be input for the tie breaking contest.

Here is a link to the original agenda for that meeting http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=305

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #127
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the final pork rule for 2014 passed by the board this evening

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #128
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
What defines "cooked"? Is it a certain temp?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #129
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
What defines "cooked"? Is it a certain temp?
According to the FDA the safe minimum cooking temp for pork is 145 degrees F with a 3 minute rest time

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #130
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

This rule, as written, legalizes the cooking of only the money muscle or any other separate muscle of the pork shoulder. Let the grilling begin.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #131
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:

Thank you for the update on the rule Steve, wont change how I cook my pork but at least we have a rule in place and have a good idea what we can and can not do.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #132
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
This rule, as written, legalizes the cooking of only the money muscle or any other separate muscle of the pork shoulder. Let the grilling begin.
How so? If you have to cook the butt to 145 whole you could maybe finish it on the grill, but you still have to cook it first.

If you really want to get technical about it, the old rule said you can't return the butt to the smoker once you part it. My offset has a shelf that gets to 450. I could have parted the pork IN the smoker and grilled it - technically following the rule. I think KCBS is trying to strike a balance between communicating the intent of the rule vs. writing a 2 page contract for pork cooking. It does that, I think.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #133
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

The sky is falling! Who cares.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #134
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I sent the following as an email to bod:
Dear KCBS BOD members:

The above referenced rule now legalizes the cooking of the money muscle or any other separated muscle of the pork shoulder. This statement is not based on semantics or liberal interpretation of the written rule, it is based on the rule as written. Nothing will prevent me, a cook, from presenting 4 each pork butts, bone in or bone out, weighing 4 pounds or more for inspection. Once the inspection is complete, I can, by rule, trim one or more of the butts so that only the money muscle remains and cook just that muscle. The trimmings can be placed in a cooler for another use in my restaurant or home or just thrown away.

I am free, by the rule as written, to cook one or more of the whole butts for pulled and chunk and grill one or more of the money muscles, as trimmed, for inclusion as sliced pork.

If I were so inclined, I could bring a couple of pork tenderloins in another cooler, and after inspection cook them and pass them as mm. Now this is cheating but it will be difficult to prove as the rule now allows me to cook just one of the muscles. I believe that this is what was happening in the past and was the reason for the old rule.

Is this really what you wanted? The old rule left room for interpretation but this type of interpretation was against the intent of the rule. The new rule has the intent of allowing the cooking of any portion of the butt that the cook desires without misinterpretation or going against the intent of the rule.

Thank you for your efforts but it is becoming more of a grilling and sauce contest and less about the art of BBQ with rule changes like this.

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke’n Ice
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #135
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I sent the following as an email to bod:
Dear KCBS BOD members:

The above referenced rule now legalizes the cooking of the money muscle or any other separated muscle of the pork shoulder. This statement is not based on semantics or liberal interpretation of the written rule, it is based on the rule as written.
Mack Yarbrough
Smoke’n Ice
I appreciate your input but I wholeheartedly disagree. Your statement is based on a liberal interpretation of the written rule. Trimming a pork butt down to just the money muscle is not trimming. It is parting or separating the muscles. If someone does this they are CHEATING. The rule states the butt must be cooked whole.

In the end people are going to do what people are going to do. The rule is in place for 2014. Maybe it will be a disaster or maybe it will be the best thing since sliced bread. Time will tell.