The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Grimm5577
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I like cherry and hickory on most pork and beef, I like pecan and cherry on chicken. I find apple and peach wood create too dark of a bark. I like a redder bark instead of a black bark.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #32
Gettinit
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm5577 View Post
I like cherry and hickory on most pork and beef, I like pecan and cherry on chicken. I find apple and peach wood create too dark of a bark. I like a redder bark instead of a black bark.
Interesting....I thought the fact it was darker was in relation to time and sugar. I suppose there is a third. Anything else that effects how dark food will get?
Gettinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyQue View Post
As far as fruit woods go, I really like fig. it has an incredible aromatic smell, almost like vanilla. Plus I have a backyard full of fig trees so thats usually my standard for pork/poultry.
I've never thought of fig before, interesting. I may have to try and find some.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

one last thing I thought of, if you use a tree service, ask them if they have anything that you can get from them. Years ago I had a very large maple to take down and I'm using them again to remove some of the mulberry that is endangering my power lines. I asked them if they had small amounts of smoking wood that I could pick up somewhere. They are going to bring a hickory limb out to me when I get them to take care of my mulberries. They also said that if I need anything else, just call and they can set some outside their fence for me if I let them know I'm coming.

Thanks from:--->