MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
gator320
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Country living lol For me everything frozen and packaged no waste, sits in freezer until sold is the way to go. On average I sell about 30 pounds a week customers love it; take it home to reheat or stock up their freezer with bbq. Reheated, just like it came off the pit.
gator320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator320 View Post
Country living lol For me everything frozen and packaged no waste, sits in freezer until sold is the way to go. On average I sell about 30 pounds a week customers love it; take it home to reheat or stock up their freezer with bbq. Reheated, just like it came off the pit.
what do your permits and license from your state or city cost, and how much do you pay for insurance?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
gator320
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Only a state fee all together about $400 a year
gator320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator320 View Post
Only a state fee all together about $400 a year
so you are doing this with no insurance?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

So I'm a little confused... Are you saying that meats can be vac packed and reheated for serving by a caterer or vendor but not for selling as a packaged product unless done by a licensed food processing facility that follows HACCP guidelines?
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
So I'm a little confused... Are you saying that meats can be vac packed and reheated for serving by a caterer or vendor but not for selling as a packaged product unless done by a licensed food processing facility that follows HACCP guidelines?
There are minor variations in the law, but, essentially, yes. If you prepare food that requires handling on your end, be it cold assembly, or cooking, then package it for sale, you must follow basic UBC and Health Codes, which require that you use a sanitary kitchen. And that you have inspected facilities for cooking, packaging and cooling. If it is being prepared and then heated by you, then the requirements are generally a lot more lax. But, that is because, you as the cook/preparer, are also the person selling and serving, so the reheat is still on you.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There are minor variations in the law, but, essentially, yes. If you prepare food that requires handling on your end, be it cold assembly, or cooking, then package it for sale, you must follow basic UBC and Health Codes, which require that you use a sanitary kitchen. And that you have inspected facilities for cooking, packaging and cooling. If it is being prepared and then heated by you, then the requirements are generally a lot more lax. But, that is because, you as the cook/preparer, are also the person selling and serving, so the reheat is still on you.
I agree with landarc. It does sound counter intuitive but that is the way our HD has explained it to us. Most States follow the USDA guidelines for guidance in writing their food regs. The regs for "selling packaged meats" are different from "serving" meats.

Can you just imagine how much more productive our economy could be if government would just get out of the way.

This may explain it better. In KS (and most other States) there are different licenses for "food prepared for immediate consumption" and "food processing & storage". Here is a link to the KS website which will give you an idea of the different requirements which are probably similar to those in your state. LINK

Last edited by bizznessman; 11-05-2013 at 09:18 PM..
bizznessman is offline   Reply With Quote