The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
gator320
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

 
gator320's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Vermont
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Country living lol For me everything frozen and packaged no waste, sits in freezer until sold is the way to go. On average I sell about 30 pounds a week customers love it; take it home to reheat or stock up their freezer with bbq. Reheated, just like it came off the pit.
gator320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-27-07
Location: Minnesota
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator320 View Post
Country living lol For me everything frozen and packaged no waste, sits in freezer until sold is the way to go. On average I sell about 30 pounds a week customers love it; take it home to reheat or stock up their freezer with bbq. Reheated, just like it came off the pit.
what do your permits and license from your state or city cost, and how much do you pay for insurance?
__________________
Kurt - Ole Hickory CTO - FIREHOUSE BBQ Vending Trailer
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
gator320
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

 
gator320's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Vermont
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Only a state fee all together about $400 a year
gator320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

 
ButtBurner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-18-12
Location: Dearborn Mi, Manton Mi
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator320 View Post
Only a state fee all together about $400 a year
so you are doing this with no insurance?
__________________
Ok Joe Offset, New Braunfels El Dorado, Weber OTS 22.5 & 18.5, (2) Master Forge Charcoal, Auber ATC, charcoal retort Weber drum rotisserie

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Trailer Trash
Knows what a fatty is.

 
Trailer Trash's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-13
Location: Gold Canyon, AZ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

So I'm a little confused... Are you saying that meats can be vac packed and reheated for serving by a caterer or vendor but not for selling as a packaged product unless done by a licensed food processing facility that follows HACCP guidelines?
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
So I'm a little confused... Are you saying that meats can be vac packed and reheated for serving by a caterer or vendor but not for selling as a packaged product unless done by a licensed food processing facility that follows HACCP guidelines?
There are minor variations in the law, but, essentially, yes. If you prepare food that requires handling on your end, be it cold assembly, or cooking, then package it for sale, you must follow basic UBC and Health Codes, which require that you use a sanitary kitchen. And that you have inspected facilities for cooking, packaging and cooling. If it is being prepared and then heated by you, then the requirements are generally a lot more lax. But, that is because, you as the cook/preparer, are also the person selling and serving, so the reheat is still on you.
__________________
I'm feeling bearish, and I'm packing a Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker
 
bizznessman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-20-09
Location: Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There are minor variations in the law, but, essentially, yes. If you prepare food that requires handling on your end, be it cold assembly, or cooking, then package it for sale, you must follow basic UBC and Health Codes, which require that you use a sanitary kitchen. And that you have inspected facilities for cooking, packaging and cooling. If it is being prepared and then heated by you, then the requirements are generally a lot more lax. But, that is because, you as the cook/preparer, are also the person selling and serving, so the reheat is still on you.
I agree with landarc. It does sound counter intuitive but that is the way our HD has explained it to us. Most States follow the USDA guidelines for guidance in writing their food regs. The regs for "selling packaged meats" are different from "serving" meats.

Can you just imagine how much more productive our economy could be if government would just get out of the way.

This may explain it better. In KS (and most other States) there are different licenses for "food prepared for immediate consumption" and "food processing & storage". Here is a link to the KS website which will give you an idea of the different requirements which are probably similar to those in your state. LINK
__________________
Do I smell SMOKE?????

Last edited by bizznessman; 11-05-2013 at 09:18 PM..
bizznessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts