MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
KIRBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default chicken Skin

Hi Fellas:

this was my first year competing in BBQ. I did two backyard comps and competed in my first pro division this month. What I wanted to know, if anyone is willing to share, is there any other way of getting bite through skin without having to remove it from the thigh and scrape off the fat? Maybe because I'm newbie, but this method takes too much time and I was hoping there was another of achieving this without spending hours on 12 pieces of chicken.

thanks for your replies.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is an old thread might have some info...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83249
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

You can prep the chicken before the competition. On Thursday night turn on the TV and start prepping your chicken. I keep the skins in the fridge and scrape them with a very sharp knife. It only takes a few minutes per thigh once you get the groove going. We do 16-20 thighs for a comp. The nice thing about doing them the night before is you're in the comfort of your own home and you can focus on other stuff at the competition.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

Learn to cook your chicken at 375° and that will break down the fat layer quickly and give you a bite through skin...

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Honestly I don't scrap skin I just make my brine 2x Strength for 16-18 thighs for 2 hrs and cook em HNF and had consistent 8-9 in tenderness
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

I think a couple things come into play here, the quality of your yard bird is number one, good quality = good flavor. Second, if you like to spend the time removing the skin and fat you can have some great results, but that doesn't mean it will turn out the way you planned every time (its a bird thing). Some like to leave the skin on and untouched, some don't (kinda like some like nutz, some don't). You could always remove the skin and provide a crispy pretty look if you like as well. In any case, yard bird is just nasty to clean at times but seems to always taste great. Well I hope my indecisiveness has helped you to consider your options.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

It used to take me forever to scrape as well, but the more I did it the better I got. Doesn't take near as long now. A good knife is key, I use ceramic.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

No scraping of skins here and we get consistent 9s in tenderness. One word: Jaccard.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Rub with mayo before seasoning. Cook hot and fast. But if all the fat doesn't rend down a more experi.enced judge may still find some fat and will hammer you. I buy about 30 thighs and pick the best 16 to cook. The rest become dinner or are taken home for something like stir fry or soup.

My advice is to filet the fat off the skin. Sure it takes time but it makes a better product. If you want to win you should be doing whatever it takes. Shortcuts are fine if you want good chicken.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

As a judge, I see some thighs with skin on and some without. I don't judge any differently between the two. Usually I can't tell if it has skin or not during the Appearance scoring and only find out when I take a bite. I'd much rather have a skinless piece than a thigh (or other piece) that doesn't have good bite-through skin!
I judge it as presented.

Just saying...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Chicken has consistently been our strong meat. We don't do anything fancy to it at all: no scraping, no deboning, no carving into weird shapes or special pans. Just trim to a nice uniform blockiness, and cook it hot enough to get the fat under the skin fully rendered and bite-through.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Between practice and comps we became 10 times better with the chicken skin over the course of a year. The more we did it the more we learned what was best to do.

The one thing I learned was that more scraping was not always better - getting too agressive with the skin worked against us. Just get most of the fat off the rest will pretty much render.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

this year chicken has been our strongest catagory, i believe we have 14 top 10 chicken calls out of 18 comps. Dont over think the process... just cook chicken and you will find that the best results come from the most simple means...

Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

We've actually gone skinless the past two contests and have had our highest scores in chicken to date.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
this year chicken has been our strongest catagory, i believe we have 14 top 10 chicken calls out of 18 comps. Dont over think the process... just cook chicken and you will find that the best results come from the most simple means...
Spill the beans!!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
bite through, chicken, chicken skin