Starting a Drop off catering buisness

Bizznessman,

The hot dog push cart was not illegal at first, but the local restaurants in Aggieville and/or downtown (where he sold) said it was taking business away from them. Says a lot about a business IMO if a hot dog cart can make such a large difference.

@bullofthewoods

In the city of Houston, yes. Not mentioned in the other counties I've looked at.

3 new ( the only ones currently) food truck / trailer parks opened in Houston this year all within the city limits. Without my city Medallion I can't park on their properties to vend and they have been packed now that the weather has turned.

@jazzybadger - what part of Ft. Bend.? big A@@ county as you know. I'll let you know when I'm all legal and where I land. You can check out the facebook page or follow me on twitter as well.

Bizznessman,

The hot dog push cart was not illegal at first, but the local restaurants in Aggieville and/or downtown (where he sold) said it was taking business away from them. Says a lot about a business IMO if a hot dog cart can make such a large difference.

Yes it does. Protectionism never works. It stifles business and leads to limited services/options for customers. I am sad to hear that the business community there chooses to take this approach. A free market has a tough time existing when monopolies are created by governments.

Okay, I am stepping down off the soap box now. :wink:

We have some friends that ran into this type of situation where they live in Colorado. The city enacted a similar ordinance. But the County has nothing against food trucks. :shock: So they set up 100 feet outside the city limits on leased private property. Problem solved. And the city has been losing out on city sales tax revenue ever since. And they do a banner business. :grin:

There is often more than one way to "skin a cat". :mrgreen:

Back