MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
I think your right...I need wood, and they have it...They deliver bulk hardwood and bagged and the pricing is good and it includes delivery...It seems almost to good to be true...and you know what they say about that...I'm surprised that no one has any experience with them...Worst case scenario, I'll have good bonfire wood for the beach this winter...
And they have Santa Maria grills, pricing includes delivery and set up. Definitely keep us posted on this.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
DubbleBee
Found some matches.

I get my smoking wood from the Woodshed as will, since they are location a few miles from my house.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Update...For the record I have no affiliation with Southern Cal Firewood...I found their ad on Craigslist...

The delivery truck rolled up this morning on time...2 guys to unload, which is nice...I ordered 1/4 chord of Hickory and 10 bags of Cherry...Remember the Cherry was discounted to $7/bag, since it was an add on item...the shipping on the 1/4 chord covered everything...I didn't have to ask...he just told me that was the deal...at $7/bag it was just a matter of figuring how much I could store...So as far as price...Good Value...No extra charges..Chord and bag prices include tax and shipping...

The Hickory and Cherry are very dense and well seasoned...it is good, fresh seasoned wood...Not a junk piece in the lot...the pieces are 18" 1/4 splits...too big for my cooker by I will cut them in half...

I recommend trying them out...I am very satisfied with the service and product...I will order from them again when my pile gets low...I dealt with Mike via email the entire time...He is quick to respond, They are the real deal...

http://www.southerncalfirewood.com/r...l-firewood.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood.jpg (46.5 KB, 85 views)
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow that looks great

what did the whole shootin match run ya?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good to know. Hell, GREAT to know! Thanks for filling us in!

How much for the hickory?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

CA Firewood is great. Would have endorsed them earlier but I just saw this post. I got a 40 lb bag of great quality for an amazing price. Nice chunks of lump, burns clean, very quality stuff. Their wood is great too but haven't tried much of it
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
DubbleBee
Found some matches.

Much better then Woodshed. Thanks very much for the info.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

There is a cute little town east of my home called Julian. Loads of apple, pear and stone fruit orchards. I picked up the phone and the first grower I called said "come on up and gather all ya want. We cut back loads of wood every year".

Worked for me!

I do buy my 40# bags of lump (wood is for smoke, not fuel in the Kamado) from CalChar (Nature-glo by Royal Oak).

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
wow that looks great

what did the whole shootin match run ya?
$250 to my door...The Hickory is $180 for 1/4 chord
the Cherry $7/bag(10 bags) $70

All the prices are on the Website too...

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
$250 to my door...The Hickory is $180 for 1/4 chord
the Cherry $7/bag(10 bags) $70

All the prices are on the Website too...
ouch. guess things are a lot different there than here in Michigan!
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

The total sounds like a lot...But. I got a big pile to work on...there are 2 piles, the white bags are the Cherry...They have cheaper wood but my family likes Hickory...Since we are in the hospitality business, so to speak, I have to cook what my audience likes...

Compared to what I have paid in the past, this stuff is cheap...I had to buy more wood to get that price...But, I can find a use for it...

1/2 log should be about 1 hour cooking @ 250* on my Lang, once its up to temp...

Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #27
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The total sounds like a lot...But. I got a big pile to work on...there are 2 piles, the white bags are the Cherry...They have cheaper wood but my family likes Hickory...Since we are in the hospitality business, so to speak, I have to cook what my audience likes...

Compared to what I have paid in the past, this stuff is cheap...I had to buy more wood to get that price...But, I can find a use for it...

1/2 log should be about 1 hour cooking @ 250* on my Lang, once its up to temp...
I just bought a seasoned face cord 1/2-1/2 hickory and cherry. It was $75, which is more than I am used to paying.

I did have to pick it up.

I now feel fortunate that I can buy it at that price compared to other areas.

that what I mean by things must be different in my area lol

Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

I've only gone to the woodshed as well… but since I only run a WSM, I don't need a huge amt like stick burners
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #29
Smoking Bruin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
ouch. guess things are a lot different there than here in Michigan!
Yup. Everything is relative. The cost of living in CA is MUCH higher than the rest of the US. It translates into higher prices across the board. Point in case, a gallon of super in LA IS $4.00 at higher grade stations. Oh, the joy.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I used the Hickory as my base wood and smoke wood this time..In the past I would add Hickory to Apple or Cherry as needed...Hickory is very dense so, in order to keep a small hot fire and the cooker under 275*...I had to cut the splits in half and then split them again twice..I ended up with sticks about 2.5" square x 9" long(kindling size)...I put 2-3 at a time in when temps started to fall and this would keep the fire clean and hot and hold the temp 250-275*...FWIW...

Add..I have a Lang 36

Last edited by MeatCandy; 10-30-2013 at 10:27 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.