MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

x- pollination is definitely a problem. They need to be separated if you want a consistent crop. Casper peppers sounds more fun for the small garden.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Most pepper plants can be dug in the fall before frost and moved indoors for keeping until next year. Just be sure that you cut the limbs back to match the root pruning you are also doing when digging them.

I allow my Jalapenos to ripen in the fall. They seem to loose some heat and gain flavor. I make a fire roasted, lacto-fermented pepper sauce from them and garlic.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
Cdog, if you let your Japs get red ripe, make your own homemade Sriracha sauce. It will make you gag on "Rooster Sauce"(Huy Fong). I used the recipe that leaves the calyx(?) on the pepper, and you allow the pepper mash to ferment for a few days. Really really good.
This year, the japs that turned red on me had all the heat of a bell pepper. Another mystery.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Bonnie Texas A&M variety. Honest.
My plants were grown by Bonnie, but they were not labled "TAM" jalepños.

CD

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
16Adams

If you Google TAM Bonnie jalapeño there is a lot of information

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:42 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to tone it down but still enjoy the Jap flavor just remove the following prior to lighting the cooking fuse:

Seeds and Membrane

• The seeds are found in the center of a jalapeno pepper and are surrounded by a membrane. This membrane is where most of the capsaicin is in the jalapeno, so it is the hottest part of the pepper. The seeds and membrane can be used in cooking, but are often removed. This is done by cutting the jalapeno in half and slicing down the length of the pepper, under the pith, with a sharp knife.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
If you want to tone it down but still enjoy the Jap flavor just remove the following prior to lighting the cooking fuse:

Seeds and Membrane

• The seeds are found in the center of a jalapeno pepper and are surrounded by a membrane. This membrane is where most of the capsaicin is in the jalapeno, so it is the hottest part of the pepper. The seeds and membrane can be used in cooking, but are often removed. This is done by cutting the jalapeno in half and slicing down the length of the pepper, under the pith, with a sharp knife.

I remove the seeds all the time. The seeds are bitter. There is a lot of heat in the membrane, too, and i remove it more or less, depending on the overall heat of the peppers.

This latest harvest is still scorching hot, even if i remove ALL of the membrane.

I just made a good sized batch of hot sauce/salsa. That is the best way I know of to use scorching hot peppers. It tastes good now, and will be awesome after aging for a week or two in vacuum-sealed Mason jars.

CD

Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
If you Google TAM Bonnie jalapeño there is a lot of information
I have grown TAM jalepeños before. But, I have not seen them locally in a few years.

CD

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post

Seeds and Membrane

I have read this, and also that peppers become hotter during very hot, dry growing seasons. TAM Mild Jalapeños do great in the Tyler, TX area, where my BIL lives.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
landarc

suck it up CD

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

We had a mild summer in Tennessee and my jalapenos were a crap shoot. Some of them got super hot. I grew 3 TAM mild plants, which were good and mild. The other regular jalapenos were great, but a few here and there were "sweat under your eyelids" hot.

I'm also a big fan of letting them turn red before harvesting. We've had a cold snap hit, so I'm gonna go get the last of them today. It was a great long harvest this year.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Funny, I bought some in the store in August or so and posted here about the heat when I made ABTs. I was roused that I hadn't prepped them correctly, when I took every seed and all of the membrane off.

These were damn hot...but I ate every one of them.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

Its a sad day when I pull my jap plants they are usually the last thing in my garden to go, I picked a grocery bag off them yesterday, time to till everything now and wait for spring. None of my peppers have been as hot this year as last. we had a lot of rain and cooler temps this year, last years were almost un bearable, my japs were hotter than any habaneros Ive ever grown
stanimals2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslak View Post
Midwest has been really wet lately...might explain why yours are mild?
It was really wet through the end of June then it really dried up (near Chicago.) The jalapeños I've been picking lately have been scorching hot. I also selected a seed variety that was supposed to be hot. There are varieties that have been bred to be mild and it seems like that's all I find in stores these days. For recipes like Pepper Stout Beef I just cut back on the jalopies but that can't be done with ABTs.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanimals2 View Post
Its a sad day when I pull my jap plants they are usually the last thing in my garden to go, I picked a grocery bag off them yesterday, time to till everything now and wait for spring. None of my peppers have been as hot this year as last. we had a lot of rain and cooler temps this year, last years were almost un bearable, my japs were hotter than any habaneros Ive ever grown
I usually let all of mine die off so I can get the few that ripen due to frost. It is kinda sad though that they are all going away. But the first of Feb, I start all over again!