The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks.. I saw the vids and read the threads about using the felt. Mine seems to be pretty tight, but I sealed it yesterday with the caulk. I have the butts on now with the pan of water under it. Temps are coming up slowly. Going to try and stop it at 225-250.

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Default Steel vs Ceramic

I've had both an Akorn and a ceramic. Trust me, there is no comparison in the way they cook. Cooking is basically heat and meat. Fantastic results may be obtained with a Co-Op five gallon bucket with a metal grate. Don't expect your steel to act like ceramic and you won't be disappointed. When I had my Akorn and wanted to smoke I used a 7.5 quart stainless steel spaghetti strainer for a charcoal basket packed tight with lump from Bedbathandbeyond and a foiled pizza stone as a diffuser. To me the Akorn was a great grill and loved the ease of moving around. Excellent Grilling (not no excellent smoking) and ease of movement that pretty sums up my Akorn experience.

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot

Last edited by 16Adams; 10-13-2013 at 10:35 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Ajstrider - how do you know the point at which your smoker likes to run? This one will hold all day at 250 if I don't open the lid for anything.

16adams - Are you saying you used the strainer for a charcoal basket?

B
UDS

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

I've got 2 bubba kegs and IMO they are better grills than smokers. However having said that, I have no problem getting smoke flavor on my Q. I've even done well with them in comps. against stick burners. I do cook a little hotter 275-300*, which may make a difference. Switch to a quality lump like B&B. You also don't need lots of wood chunks either, 3-4 at the most. Try shutting your bottom vent 5 minutes before you open the lid and leave it closed for another 5 after you close it. And of course try hard not to work with the lid open, it will get too much air.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

With these butts I should only have to open the lid once to take out the small one, wrap it and then again to put it back in. I think I will not wrap the large one and see what the difference is.

B
UDS

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
RemoGaggi
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I built a UDS long ago and find it is considerably more difficult to hold temps. I don't think my air control system is very good... I just have 4 holes with pipe for three of them than I can cap and one has a ball valve on it. I just could never control it easily and it was such a hassle to use and clean, I went to a vertical gasser.. made some great cue on that thing, but wanted to return to charcoal. I was hoping the Akorn was the answer.

B
UDS

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
ebijack
Full Fledged Farker

I like others prefer my UDS to my Acorn for 90% of what I cook. And like mentioned, close the inlet vent before opening ( I do the same on all my smokers). If your grilling, then I don't worry about it much. I made my own inlet vent for the Acorn so I could easily control temps and have the top vent open to 1 1/2 to 2 and still maintain 225 to 250 degrees. I don't use a water pan but more of a pan on top of my pizza diffuser to catch the drippins. I haven't found a need to wrap till the meat is ready for the cooler to sit. I use mostly briquettes but still buy lump and mix it. I have not found a bag /brand of lump that I like as of yet and that is a lot of years buying it. From the brick size pieces to 1/3 bag of dust and crumbs. Having the top vent open more promotes better air flow like mentioned above. My mods are on Jim's site. A lot of folks just prefer to run with what they have/how the unit arrived and work with it, I prefer to make everything work better/easier for me. If I wasn't able to control my Acorn better I would have sold it right away as it was a huge PIA till I modified it.

Unread 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.
You should have sold your BGE since you liked your Akorn better than your BGE.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

ebijack, can you give me a link to your air intake mod for the Akorn? Thanks for the advice. I have it holding at 275 which is a little high, but I'm getting good flow through it and plan to eat it at dinner time today. Internal on the small one is at 165 and I put them on 3.25 hours ago. Should be done in about 8 I would think... maybe too fast.

Thanks for all the help here!

B
UDS

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #26
ebijack
Full Fledged Farker

I tried a couple different intake vent opening designs, this one that is like a wine bottle allows me to get any temp I want all the way to 700+ degrees. I removed the long screw at the back of the original slider vent and use a 4mm? bolt so I can remove/install the vent opening and or slider while I was finding the best design for me. Cheap aluminum flashing, cuts with scissors, tin snips, utility knife easily. A couple of guys made a vent like mine and reused the original slider cover, I prefer to visually see the opening which you can not do with the original. If you make a new slider cover, make it longer than you think or it won't close the opening fully.
top vent

bottom vent WAY open

this gets me to 250-275 depending

Unread 11-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Erictag
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Very nice design! The ability to restrict the air intake to that small window is smart.

Eric
Erictag is offline   Reply With Quote