ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 12-31-10
Location: Albert City, Iowa
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEvoy AZ View Post
Not many people were doing peoples choice at this event because of some of the heath departments demands. At the last second we agreed to do it because we wanted to help the charity, since there was not much participation in pc at this event, It was otherwise a fun event. I guess next year it is unfortunate we probably will not be doing PC. By the way we did well in the health inspection, the inspector found no violations.
Sadly I heard from the original organizer of the event I am talking about(Storm Lake,Iowa) that because of the HD most teams refused to do PC that particular year. Teams that had already agreed to do it but then felt dealing with the HD wasnt worth it. And they, the organizers, had talked to several teams about the contest for the next year and was told by those teams that they would not be doing PC again. This organizer told me that they were counting on PC to bring in lots of the public to the event but without PC there was no reason to come out and then the sponsors decided no reason to sponsor without public etc etc. So the decision was to cancel the event and it probably wont be back because of HD...This venue was a great location and had a very good team numbers and had the big time sponsors but the HD being difficult is why this contest is no more according to the original organizer.

I know the HD has an important job and I am not anti HD and I know there is more to the story about why this contest is no more but I think it is funny how even the organizer blames the HD.
__________________
Oversize Load BBQ team
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker
 
TooSaucedToPork's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-23-09
Location: Buffalo NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

In most States KCBS Requirements are stricter than the HD...
__________________
"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem" http://www.toosaucedtopork.com
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
wags
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 07-03-10
Location: Massachusetts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Sadly I think you'll see more of this creep into our lives as government feels empowered more and more to butt into our private business. A comp a is a PRIVATE event not to different than a company picnic. I fully support hd's for keeping restaurants safe, but butt out of my private life
wags is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-14-12
Location: Laveen AZ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
That organizer isn't doing right by the cooks. If I ran an event where an HD inspector appeared I would personally sit chaperone them and run interference for the cook teams from 11:30-2:00.

Of course the proper thing to do is to prevent this from happening in the first place. There is absolutely no reason for a health inspector to be in a comp team's site unless that team is serving food to the public. Judges sign a waiver, they don't count as "public".
Well I don't think the organizer saw him as the judges tables were a long walk from the teams that day. Like I said I reluctantly did PC, although I only was going to do PC after the turn ins and technically I was not doing any PC when inspected.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-14-12
Location: Laveen AZ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Sadly I heard from the original organizer of the event I am talking about(Storm Lake,Iowa) that because of the HD most teams refused to do PC that particular year. Teams that had already agreed to do it but then felt dealing with the HD wasnt worth it. And they, the organizers, had talked to several teams about the contest for the next year and was told by those teams that they would not be doing PC again. This organizer told me that they were counting on PC to bring in lots of the public to the event but without PC there was no reason to come out and then the sponsors decided no reason to sponsor without public etc etc. So the decision was to cancel the event and it probably wont be back because of HD...This venue was a great location and had a very good team numbers and had the big time sponsors but the HD being difficult is why this contest is no more according to the original organizer.

I know the HD has an important job and I am not anti HD and I know there is more to the story about why this contest is no more but I think it is funny how even the organizer blames the HD.
Well I do think I feel an obligation to contest sponsors and the charity which got me into this mess in the first place.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Here if you enter the peoples choice then they check you but never for the KCBS judges. They have come around at several competitions and told us we could not give samples to the public without an inspection.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Well, if there was PC, and the OP was signed up for it, then the HD has the right to inspect anything he is serving. Isn't right and why I would never do PC. You can't expect the inspector to know the difference. It is up to the organizer to make sure it doesn't happen.
__________________
Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

 
Slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Northern VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Sadly I think you'll see more of this creep into our lives as government feels empowered more and more to butt into our private business. A comp a is a PRIVATE event not to different than a company picnic. I fully support hd's for keeping restaurants safe, but butt out of my private life
Don't count on this to protect you. There was a comp near here a couple of years ago where the HD was out in full force inspecting the KCBS meats. Their justification for this was the event was charging admission thus it was a public event. The fact that judges didn't pay admission didn't matter.
__________________
Aporkalypse Now Competition BBQ team
Thanks to our sponsors: Wusthof Trident USA & Creekstone Farms
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Well, if there was PC, and the OP was signed up for it, then the HD has the right to inspect anything he is serving. Isn't right and why I would never do PC. You can't expect the inspector to know the difference. It is up to the organizer to make sure it doesn't happen.
I disagree, Bob. If the PC was pulled pork, for example, that's the only meat being served to the public, so to me that should be the only meat that they can inspect. Now my environment, three bin station, hand wash, etc. is fair game, but the other meats should be off limits.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I assumed that PC was chicken, I didn't pay enough attention. Yes, it should be limited to the meat being served.
__________________
Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

 
Slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Northern VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

It won't be long before some municipality comes up with a "Competitive food service" permit.
__________________
Aporkalypse Now Competition BBQ team
Thanks to our sponsors: Wusthof Trident USA & Creekstone Farms
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
It won't be long before some municipality comes up with a "Competitive food service" permit.
No doubt, if they can collect a fee, you can bet on it
__________________
Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
wags
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 07-03-10
Location: Massachusetts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
It won't be long before some municipality comes up with a "Competitive food service" permit.
I'd be out, and I'm guessing many other teams would be as well.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 09-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #29
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
CBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: Cumberland, RI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl14226 View Post
I think if someone from outside of our team came into our site and said they needed to temp our food during a turn-in while I was preparing a box, there would be some Jersey Girl action coming into play.
Don't mess with Jersey Girls, even ones that live in New York.


Only time I have seen the health department is at events with People's Choice or team vending. When we vend in Vermont we have to provide a "floor" under the prep areas, which in our case means foam matts. I don't see how it's a food safety issue. If something hits the ground or hits the matt, it's not getting served.
__________________
Chris
ZBQ Competition BBQ Team, Rhode Island
"The Most Dangerous Team in BBQ" - Jon Vallone
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
swamprb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-27-06
Location: Bothell WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Its becoming all too common here in Washington State. I won't sample or vend at any contest that I am competing at.

There was an event that the HD shut down all sampling and vending for an organizers charity due to some teams not having food handlers cards and other violations. And another established event was killed by a $4000 HD fee for teams to sample for their charity.

Some events have even factored in Health Dept. fees in the registrations (waived upon early entry), but that should come out of the organizers pockets, wouldn't you think???
__________________
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts