Goat Leg (large)

Aztec1000

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
New forum member here. Why not kick it off with a question?

I know my way around brisket. And ribs. And bistecca fiorentina (my specialty). I'm a Big Green Egg kind of guy.

What I don't know is goat leg. I've researched it, and there's a general paucity of data, and what is actually out there is conflicting.

So here's the deal. Around 8 pound leg, from a 6 month old, Boer breed. Should this be a low/slow deal, foiled for the last couple hours? Pull at what temp? Hold at that temp like a brisket, or serve right away? I haven't seen the product yet, so can't tell just how lean and sinewy it is. Obviously if very much so, then it should be low/slow, but the question of what temp is still open.

Your thoughts and experiences?

TIA.

Tim

Personally, I'm clueless on this one, but one thing I can say with certainty, is if Cowgirl says it works, then you can bank on it!

Welcome to the Forum, enjoy, and let us know how it comes out.

KC

I murder & cook a few every year this is the recipe I use

Goat in Chile Marinade, Pit-Barbecue Style

Barbacoa de Cabrito

This goat barbecue typifies a style where the meat absorbs an adobo, a fragrant, spicy marinade of dried chiles and other seasonings.

Ingredients

• 4 ounces guajillo chiles (about 16 large chiles), tops and seeds removed
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves, or 3/4 teaspoon ground
  • 10 allspice berries
  • 1/3 cup dried 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
  • 2 teaspoons dried
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons thyme (leaves only),
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt or to taste, plus additional for seasoning goat
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 16-pound goat, quartered, or 6 to 8 pounds lamb shoulder, bone in, trimmed
  • 1/2 to 3/4 ounce *dried avocado leaves, about 30 large leaves
Preparation

Wash and griddle-dry the chiles by the directions below. Place in a deep bowl and cover generously with boiling water. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.
Grind the cumin, cloves, allspice, oregano, and dried thyme (if using) together in an electric coffee or spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Drain the soaked chiles. Working in batches as necessary, place them in a blender with the ground herbs and spices (add fresh thyme at this point if using), garlic, onion, vinegar, salt, and about 1/2 cup water (or enough to facilitate the action of the blades). Process to a smooth purée (about 3 minutes on high), stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. With a wooden spoon or pusher, for the purée through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl. It should have the consistency of a thick but still moist paste.
Season the pieces of goat or lamb with salt and pepper. Slather the seasoning paste all over the meat. Arrange in a large bowl (or any non-reactive container that's large enough), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 2 hours before beginning the cooking, to let the meat come to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 325°F or your pit

Choose a deep roasting pan or baking dish large enough to hold the meat snugly. Scatter half of the avocado leaves across the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on them cook for 3 hrs. Scatter the remaining leaves over the meat. Cover the pan (wrapping very tightly with several layers of foil if there is no lid) cook 3 to 4 hours . The meat should be almost falling off the bone.
Notes:

*Avocado Leaves Buy the dried imported avocado leaves sold in packets in Mexican groceries. Though sizes are not standardized, they generally come in 1/4-ounce packets, sometimes with the contents fairly broken up. One ounce of dried avocado leaves is usually equivalent to about 30 leaves.

Thanks -- I came to the right place

I like to foil after a couple of hours of smoke. Let them braise until fall apart tender.
Here's the last ones I did on the drum.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154209

BTW....Welcome to the forum!!

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Approx how long did it take to reach that level of tenderness?

I'll do this on Saturday and report back. I'd do it for tomorrow's dinner, but I have a 3" thick porterhouse that needs addressing first.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Approx how long did it take to reach that level of tenderness?

I'll do this on Saturday and report back. I'd do it for tomorrow's dinner, but I have a 3" thick porterhouse that needs addressing first.

It cooked for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. I just checked for tenderness.
Here a link to my blog with more info on the measurements if you're interested. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2013/02/chivo-goat-leg-tacoshuevos-rancherosand.html

The meat needs to marinade overnight. Hope you have great luck with it! :thumb:

Barbacoa de Cabrito

This goat barbecue typifies a style where the meat absorbs an adobo, a fragrant, spicy marinade of dried chiles and other seasonings.

Ingredients

• 10 allspice berries
  • 2 teaspoons dried
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
Preparation

Wash and griddle-dry the chiles by the directions below. Place in a deep bowl and cover generously with boiling water. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.
Grind the cumin, cloves, allspice, oregano, and dried thyme (if using) together in an electric coffee or spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Drain the soaked chiles. Working in batches as necessary, place them in a blender with the ground herbs and spices (add fresh thyme at this point if using), garlic, onion, vinegar, salt, and about 1/2 cup water (or enough to facilitate the action of the blades). Process to a smooth purée (about 3 minutes on high), stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. With a wooden spoon or pusher, for the purée through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl. It should have the consistency of a thick but still moist paste.
Season the pieces of goat or lamb with salt and pepper. Slather the seasoning paste all over the meat. Arrange in a large bowl (or any non-reactive container that's large enough), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 2 hours before beginning the cooking, to let the meat come to room temperature.

Choose a deep roasting pan or baking dish large enough to hold the meat snugly. Scatter half of the avocado leaves across the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on them cook for 3 hrs. Scatter the remaining leaves over the meat. Cover the pan (wrapping very tightly with several layers of foil if there is no lid) cook 3 to 4 hours . The meat should be almost falling off the bone.
Notes:

*Avocado Leaves Buy the dried imported avocado leaves sold in packets in Mexican groceries. Though sizes are not standardized, they generally come in 1/4-ounce packets, sometimes with the contents fairly broken up. One ounce of dried avocado leaves is usually equivalent to about 30 leaves.

I've got that recipe bookmarked too http://tlspecialties.blogspot.com/2012/10/goat-in-chile-marinade-pit-barbecue.html

But I haven't tried it. Could you post a pic of some of your goat cooks please? I'd love to hear how it turned out. Thanks!

Reporting back on goat leg

It cooked for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. I just checked for tenderness.
Here a link to my blog with more info on the measurements if you're interested. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2013/02/chivo-goat-leg-tacoshuevos-rancherosand.html

The meat needs to marinade overnight. Hope you have great luck with it! :thumb:

Result A-. Very happy.

Turned out to tip the scales at just 5.5lbs, which was a good thing. Had it been 10+, I wouldn't have been able to fit it into any kind of marinade bag! As it was, I had to saw the bone and break it back upon itself to fit in the aluminum pan.

275F, in the marinade, for 2 hours, at which point the marinade was burned on the bottom of the pan. Foiled the top with broth added (maybe a cup). Checked at around 4 hours and it was good to go, twisted easily with a fork. Broth had dried/burned to a sticky mess as well, which surprised me given I was cooking indirect. No matter, the meat was fine.

Parts were a smidge dry, about like a dry turkey leg. About 80% of it was very moist, perfect flavor, and a nice smoke ring to boot. Wife loved it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be doing this again soon, next time more like 225F with more marinade/broth to see if it is more moist throughout.

Barbacoa de Cabrito

Ingredients

• 10 allspice berries
  • 2 teaspoons dried
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
Preparation

Notes:

OK..im going to admit to just now reading like 2 sentences from this...but im still going to archive it as I read chillies...and I was sold already...plus- I did pretty much take a bit of stuff off of one of your chili posts from the TX forum and man..it was legit and won me $100! haha.

I do have 3 goat legs in the freezer I am going to thaw for this weekend!

Not too much..its lean- I didnt wrap the last piece I did as long as I should have and it wasnt as moist as I wanted it to be- it was still def. good...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165321

So I would take others advice- give it a bit of smoke of you'd like(prob less than 1 hr) then wrap wrap wrap tight.

I'd say it's like turkey drumstick in texture, and with much more flavor. Unique, not the "gamey" flavor that some seem to dislike.

As for wrapping… wrap tight? I put two layers of foil over the top of the foil roasting pan.

I sail the Carribean Islands on a regular basis. Goat meat or often refered to there in the islands as mutton. (I know mutton is sheep as we know it) It is a staple food down there. Anyway, I dont think I have ever had it no matter how it was "cooked" that was not braised to finish it off.

Back