The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Here's the bar code and maker's label... good to go I think...

Note:
Clearly a Canadian addition bag... notice the "en francais" label from the rear of the bag...

I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..?

Unread 09-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Charcoal_Addict
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenfinger View Post
Here's the bar code and maker's label... good to go I think...

Note:
Clearly a Canadian addition bag... notice the "en francais" label from the rear of the bag...

I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..?
It's passable but not as good as RO's red bag lump. There's a lot of flat hardwood floor lumber mill scrap in the bag. It's the so-so RO they pawn off on Canadians.

I use it for Hot dogs and Kamado scrub. Too much ash for low and slows and it has a pretty horrid scent when you first light it. Once it gets going it's not so bad. It smells like a burning house when you first light it. There's usually 4-6 I carbonized pieces per a bag. The overall large piece size is good.

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree...

Sometimes I've pulled out pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long or full fist size chunks.

There is also orange-ish looking pieces of clay from time to time or unidentified pieces of what looks like "plastic" meltdown from the charcoal process...

Don't get me wrong... for the most part the majority is good, and it's better then most of the alternatives around here... just wanted to know where it ranks on the ladder compared to what's available closer to home...

Thanks.

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
George
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have to agree with Goldenfinger and Charcoal addict, there's not a lot of choice up here. I've had bags of RO with huge chunks, and bags with mostly little pieces, but I've also tried the Maple leaf lump that everyone loves, and I really don't taste much of a flavor difference.
Chargriller w/sfb
George is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Same product different wrapper for certain contracts...i.e Menards.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #21
Charcoal_Addict
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I have to agree with Goldenfinger and Charcoal addict, there's not a lot of choice up here. I've had bags of RO with huge chunks, and bags with mostly little pieces, but I've also tried the Maple leaf lump that everyone loves, and I really don't taste much of a flavor difference.
Outside Mesquite and cocoanut briquettes don't think there would be any effect on the flavor. The start-up smell with some cheap lump is excuse to head back in the house for a beer until it burns off.

The reason I would pay more for Wicked Good or a solid South American lump would be purely for performance rather than flavor profile.

Aside from the sparks Nature's own (sold at Canadian tire) is a decent economic brand. Basques Sugar Maple can be hit and miss on piece sizes. Maple charcoal has fragility issues and can be hit or miss on the size of the pieces.

Most of the hardwood lump has to be imported into Canada and that's the wallet killer. Over zealous government taxes. You have $800 USD for one day road trip to the US. Even with the price of gas you could $800 dollars worth of lump and briskets in the US for what would nearly equal $1600 dollars in Canada.

The other option is you order pallet loads from the US fairly cheaply and ship via a brokered courier and sadly you would still end up saving 35% as long you purchased bulk from a state that boarders your province.

Unread 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #22
mbshop
Babbling Farker

I have used both ro and kingsford and I have never seen ro produce more ash.
if ash is an issue then use ro lump. most any ro labled something else will do a great job.
lump will inherently have small pieces. its why you get a piece of expanded metal and put that over the coal grate.

Unread 09-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #23
nastynotch347
Knows what a fatty is.

Go to GFS and pickup there lump it's re bagged royal oak. On the south side the feed store has re bagged RO. In the city Chicago firewood supply has RO. Hope this helps .
nastynotch347 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
Schmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Does Royal Oak produce 90% of US charcoal? Sure seems it, with all the different brands and labels that can be traced back to them.

KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.

Pink and orange Thermopens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #25
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

[QUOTE=Charcoal_Addict;2636405]It's passable but not as good as RO's red bag lump. There's a lot of flat hardwood floor lumber mill scrap in the bag. It's the so-so RO they pawn off on Canadians.

QUOTE]

you are describing Roal Oak red bag sold in the states. No difference here

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #26
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Hey George,
Do you guys have a decent BBQ store in there..? I used to have a really good one in Calgary, but it'd be a bit of a drive now for sure. Definitely nothing where I am... unless you count HD or CdnTire.

Otherwise, might be worth it to have a pallet of good quality charcoal delivered to Border Services and make the drive to pick it up..?

Not too concerned though... the RO still gets it done in both my Weber and UDS without too many complaints... The rest of the charcoal here at either HD, CdnTire or Wally World burns really bad... lots of waste, ash and hard to keep going if the humidity is high...

Unread 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
NickTheGreat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenfinger View Post
...I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..?
Sounds like Royal Oak to me!

Unread 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
lump will inherently have small pieces. its why you get a piece of expanded metal and put that over the coal grate.

Perforated steel sheet for me... sure helps on the Weber.

Thanks from:--->