The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
WYO_TX BBQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whole Hog_NO SKIN...Ughhh

So Im supposed to smoke a whole hog for a party on Saturday and my friend just informed me that the pig will be skinless. The pig weighs 85 lbs and has no skin, any suggestions on cooking time, wrapping, not wrapping with foil? Do you want the ham and shoulder to be at 195 or different temp upon when its done? Should I bast it? I plan on injecting.
WYO_TX BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
crb478
Knows what a fatty is.

No skin? I would put the hams toward the hottest end and would shoot for 195 degrees as a guide. If you have thermometers in I could start checking it at about 185 degrees. Open it up and quickly start pulling on the bones and see it they are pulling away from the meat easily and cleanly. Some parts will cook quicker than others. For cooks like this it is good to have a hot zone and a cooler zone. It will be a judgment call whether you need to wrap or not. I would also plan to try to flip it about 1/2 way through the cook which will also give you an idea of how everything is cooking.
crb478 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

bacon wrapped whole hog?

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
bacon wrapped whole hog?
That was my thought exactly.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
bluetang

Check out Cowgirl's skinless hog cook
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...nderblock.html

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
bacon wrapped whole hog?
Plus 3!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Aren't there laws against skinless whole hog?
sliding_billy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
Check out Cowgirl's skinless hog cook
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...nderblock.html
^+1! I actually prefer skinless, lets me get a good bark, etc. Cowgirl's above is on an old school concrete block pit. Here is my last one, a 60#-65# skinless wild hog on my reverse flow stickburner.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=168127
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Believe it or not, A friend of mine smeared a wild boar that he was cooking with mayonnaise like you would a skinless chicken breast! He didn't feel like taking the hair off so he went ahead and skinned the whole thing instead. The mayo was only used on the back side while the cavity was prepped the normal way. The mayo actually helped to form a bark and seemed to help in keeping the pig from drying out. Of course he also had a couple of layers of aluminum foil under the pig throughout the cook and the pig wasn't that big, maybe 60 or 70 pounds. I'm not sure what temp he cooked at or anything but I thought that the mayo thing was a pretty good example of redneck ingenuity! Personally I like the idea of a layer of some cheap thick sliced bacon on top of a layer of foil for the pig to rest on. It seems like the bacon would slowly render and give a decent amount of protection to the pig? I personally have never done a whole hog but I thought that I would pass some info to you in case you could use any of it. Good Luck!

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer skin off also.. I would losely place foil on top of here with cool bacon about halfway through the cook.. once the desired color is reached.. This will help not give her a burnt look... The cool bacon will be your basting brush.. halfway through the cook.. if you add the bacon too early.. it will burn and turn bitter.. IMHO..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
cowgirl

Peeled hogs are great. They need no outer protection. Cook the same way you do a non peeled hog, inject and season. You get a wonderful bark on the outside and the pig is moist on the inside.
Think one large "pork butt". I definitely wouldn't lay bacon on a pork butt... but to each his own.

Good luck with your cook!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Peeled hogs are great. They need no outer protection. Cook the same way you do a non peeled hog, inject and season. You get a wonderful bark on the outside and the pig is moist on the inside.
Think one large "pork butt". I definitely wouldn't lay bacon on a pork butt... but to each his own.

Good luck with your cook!
You'd know much better than I would.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
papaskins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
bacon wrapped whole hog?

yes please
papaskins is offline   Reply With Quote