The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I should have mentioned that I had the file format for a water jet I could have sent you that's how razrbak did his.

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #32
aaronmhooks
Got Wood.

No worries. The guy at the metal shop just scanned it into the software and it did everything he needed it to do. Thanks again.
aaronmhooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

You're on your way!

I'm gonna order these for the time bomb:

These are probably bigger than what you want. I bet if you call the company direct, they will have the size you need.

I like the flat top of the jeep style fenders...I'll have a place to put my beer when I check the meat.
Don't get ahead of yourself with the paint, you're gonna have to grind it off wherever you need to weld. You want to weld to clean, shiny metal.

See ya soon
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #34
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Here's some more:

http://www.nueratrailerparts.com/p-5...x-26-x-10.aspx

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #35
wango
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmhooks View Post

One thing I am going to have to fab up is some fenders for the trailer to deflect the heat away from my tires. Shouldn't be too hard but any suggestions are always welcome.
I don't know if you have TSC stores where you live but that is where I go for general utility trailer stuff, they have fenders, axles, wheel bearings, lights etc. Their prices are usually pretty good. Here is a link to their site:

www.tractorsupply.com

Nice looking build you have going!

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wango View Post
I don't know if you have TSC stores where you live but that is where I go for general utility trailer stuff, they have fenders, axles, wheel bearings, lights etc. Their prices are usually pretty good. Here is a link to their site:

www.tractorsupply.com

Nice looking build you have going!
Or Northern Tool if y'all have them nearby.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
aaronmhooks
Got Wood.

Thanks guys.

The paint job has been decided. The only thing is it is too awesome to share with you until it is done. I will start this afternoon and should ideally be done tonight also. Get ready. As a little primer I will tell you that this paint job represents the first of its kind that every made it to space.

Unread 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
WhatHappened
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am in for the finished product.
WhatHappened is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
aaronmhooks
Got Wood.

Well we made a lot of progress tonight but I didn't get the barrel painted. I started laying down a base coat but had to weld on the top and on the bottom so those will be painted later. I got 2 of the 3 bolt tabs welded on and one of those drilled through and bolted down. I try not to make alot of noise here after around 9 or 930 so I will have to drill out the second tab tomorrow. I am going to add some angle iron as support for the rear of the trailer and thats where I will put the 3rd tab. That will be the last thing welded to the barrel. All of the welds currently are rough and needed to be sanded down to look pretty. That will all be done tomorrow afternoon. But for now here is some pictures to look at.

Bolt Tab

Hinge

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #40
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #41
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker

Lookin good
Can't wait to see the paint scheme.

I'm officially a ZERO
IMBAS Certified MOINK baller
WWGALD

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #42
aaronmhooks
Got Wood.

Here is what is planned out of tonight. First I need to go clean all the welds from last night. Since it was late I didn't want to be running the angle grinder and piss off the neighbors. I also have to cut the threaded rod on the hinge shorter on both ends.
The next step will be welding in reinforcements to the rear of the trailer to get rid of the flex in the trailer (which is also the last bolt down point for the UDS) I plan on doing this with some angle iron. Then I'll finish the last bolt tab.

Once I get that all done, shouldn't take all that long, I am going to get the lug nut heads painted and get the wheels on securely. Then its off to painting the UDS. The trailer won't see any touch up paint until I get the fenders on and the grill done. Just wanted it painted to get an idea of what it would look like and thankfully I did as it allowed me to test the orange and persuaded me to change the color scheme. Will post more pics tonight when work is complete. Hopefully I'll be far enough on the paint job of the UDS to throw some teaser shot's out there.

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good! Those hinges came out great!

Unread 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #44
aaronmhooks
Got Wood.

Sure did Uncle Todd. I was a little worried that I was going to have trouble keeping them square when I was welding the steel pipe between the 2 bottom hinges but after sitting down and thinking about it for a few minutes I was able figure out how to tack them together square and then went back and completed my welds. You'll have to let me cook for ya on the new setup when you come down .

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #45
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

You did it just right. We'll be down there sometime after your dad gets home. And you better cook! What's it gonna be?