ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
shagnasty
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ordered my new smoker today

After much research and hours of reading through post on this forum, I decided on the next smoker for my arsenal. First of all, I knew I wanted a vertical insulated unit. There are several quality builders making great pits in this class. That made my decision much harder. My decision came down to 3 pits. Asassain, Lonestargrilz and pitmaker. All of these companies have great looking smokers and seem to have fan clubs on most bbq forums. After comparing the features, reviews of customer service and temperature control issues I eliminated the pitmaker unit. That left me with Asassain and Lonestar grilz. They are both top notch units and my final decison was based on the thickness of the lonestar units exterior shell and the fully welded seems as well as the stainless doors. Overall, I just felt it to be the best unit for my needs. So I just ordered my new smoker! I hope to have it by the end of October.
shagnasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
peeps
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 5

Those guys make some good lookin' rigs and have sold quite a few to members in the just in the last week or so! Post pics and pr0n once you get it ;)

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Last edited by peeps; 09-16-2013 at 12:17 PM..
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
KingRanch450
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats!

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats and enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

They make nice pits. Congrats!
sliding_billy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Hagisan
Knows what a fatty is.

Congrats on your new pit. Don't forget the pics.
Hagisan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagisan View Post
Congrats on your new pit. Don't forget the pics.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnasty View Post
After much research and hours of reading through post on this forum, I decided on the next smoker for my arsenal. First of all, I knew I wanted a vertical insulated unit. There are several quality builders making great pits in this class. That made my decision much harder. My decision came down to 3 pits. Asassain, Lonestargrilz and pitmaker. All of these companies have great looking smokers and seem to have fan clubs on most bbq forums. After comparing the features, reviews of customer service and temperature control issues I eliminated the pitmaker unit. That left me with Asassain and Lonestar grilz. They are both top notch units and my final decison was based on the thickness of the lonestar units exterior shell and the fully welded seems as well as the stainless doors. Overall, I just felt it to be the best unit for my needs. So I just ordered my new smoker! I hope to have it by the end of October.
I think you made a good choice! I saw one up close when I went to pick my pit up and they're pretty nice. They have a good capacity and I like the water pan refill feature that they have as well. Are you planning on adding a Guru or Stoker to it? That would pretty much make it a set-it and forget-it set up! Congrats!

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Okie Sawbones
is one Smokin' Farker

I just watched the video on this pit. It seems very well constructed, and made for ease of use. This is just a three hour drive from where I am moving, so I'll have to check it out.
DAV, VFW
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
shagnasty

Thanks Guys. It was a tough decision. Saved for a long time and second guessed myself for weeks. Feeling better now that its done. I'd like to add a controller but I'm just not that familiar with the different brands and features they offer.

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnasty View Post
Thanks Guys. It was a tough decision. Saved for a long time and second guessed myself for weeks. Feeling better now that its done. I'd like to add a controller but I'm just not that familiar with the different brands and features they offer.
If I had an insulated cooker like what you're getting I think that I would look at the NanoQ from BBQ Guru. Unlike the others that Guru sells and most of the other controllers on the market, the NanoQ is just a bare bones pit temp controller. It doesn't have a meat probe or internet capabilities or crazy alarms it just controls the pit. Just fill up your charcoal basket with a good lump and a few wood chunks, plug in the NanoQ, Set-it and forget-it! The NanoQ is also relatively inexpensive compared to some of the others out there. The other one to look at would be the BBQ Pitmaster IQ110. It's simple as well and even less expensive than the NanoQ!

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

if all you want is barebones look dont overlook Auber. I paid $129 for mine

I have one, it works great, and uses inexpensive common K type thermocouples for temp probes that can be bought easiry from lots of places
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Biged92

Congrats on the new pit. It looks really good. We just ordered a Assassin28 a couple of weeks ago. It to would have been a tough choice had I seen this one prior. Post picks once you have it up and running.

22.5 WSM w/ WiFi Stoker | 22.5" OTS | 22.5" Weber Performer | Assassin28
Biged92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
shagnasty

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Choosing a pit is not an easy task. So many quality units out there just makes it more difficult. Im new on this forum but have trolled for a while. I used fedback and posts from this forum to help make my decison. Thanks to you all for such good insight and experience. Ive been cooking for years and have actually competed and won with a brinkman smoking pit professional offset I bought at walmart in the 90's. I still have it and its my primary pit as of now. Ive started doing some vending and catering and need more capacity. I set up a vending booth over the weekend and sold out! I only cooked about 40 lbs of boston butt(pulled) but its a good start. I actually had people come back for seconds. I even had a lady call the next day asking if I had any left. So I feel confident I can keep this thing going. Im looking forward to the new smoker and the opportunites it will bring. But I really appreciate this brotherhood and will keep you all posted on my progress.

Unread 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Dabaras
Knows what a fatty is.

That thing is built like a tank. I've been having the same debate across all of the different insulated verticals out there, and now you've gone and added another one to the list that I have to consider. Decisions, decisions.....
Dabaras is offline   Reply With Quote