How to make a "ABT" (Atomic Buffalo Turd)

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A friend sent me this video thinking I would enjoy it. Little did he know, we BBQ folks have been making them for years.
The lady in the video doesn't call them by their "proper" name, but she gets the point across.
I thought I'd post this to help those new folks that have never make them.

Of course they should be cooked outdoors over fire, and not the kitchen oven. :becky:

Bacon wrapped jalapeno "poppers"

Enjoy. :cool:

Oven? Clearly, she meant this one since the smokebox is full of meat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhSn4UkQ_k"]lone star grillz warmer box 2 - YouTube[/ame]

i thought ovens were where you stuck your grilled or q'ed foods after they were done, before you served them?

A friend sent me this video thinking I would enjoy it. Little did he know, we BBQ folks have been making them for years.
The lady in the video doesn't call them by their "proper" name, but she gets the point across.
I thought I'd post this to help those new folks that have never make them.

Of course they should be cooked outdoors over fire, and not the kitchen oven. :becky:

Bacon wrapped jalapeno "poppers"

Enjoy. :cool:

Bob that reminded me of a visitor I had last year during deer season. She was telling me about this "new" snack called jalapeno poppers. She said her dad had invented them. lol :-D

Bob that reminded me of a visitor I had last year during deer season. She was telling me about this "new" snack called jalapeno poppers. She said her dad had invented them. lol :-D

Exactly ! :laugh:
Not only does almost every bar across the country serve them, you can buy them in the grocers freezer section.
But only a select few of the population know the pure awesomeness of a ABT right off the smoker.

Other than the oven, she doesn't do a bad job assembling them.

But it brings me to this question:
What do you do with you peppers?

I snip the top off and deseed with a spoon handle.
I leave the pepper whole and unsliced.
Fill them and cook them vertically.

I don't know what it is, but I don't like the "on the half shell (pepper)" version.

I usually do the same but I don't like the pepper to stuffing ratio. everytime I do peppers on the half shell all of my cheese ouzes out

Other than the oven, she doesn't do a bad job assembling them.

I don't know what it is, but I don't like the "on the half shell (pepper)" version.

Pretty much the same for me, but MRI_Guy gave me a great jalapeno coring tool.
Mine get stuffed with chopped smoked string cheese and chopped dried cherries or chopped dried cranberries. Wrap 'em in bacon and cook vertically, either in home-made ABT racks, or on bamboo skewers.

I usually cut the top off, use a regular ole apple corer to cut the veins and seeds out and then stuff with combination spinach, crab and shrimp dip and the wrap with bacon and then set them in a rack made just for this occasion.

Back