The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Bperkins01
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Patio vs. Trailer models

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing the research and am leaning toward the investment and learning how to do real BBQ.

That said .. I like the Lang smokers so far. All of you have convinced me to get one size bigger. (i.e 48" vs. 36" for me)

So.. that said - I would probably want to be able to move it between two houses and maybe a few more places once in a while.

The trailer setup seems cumbersome vs. patio models while stationary.
I figure a small flatbed trailer could be multi-use as opposed to a trailer/smoker, but more hassle with storage, etc.

Since you guys have *actually* done this - I like to hear some opinions.
Thanks
This seems like a great forum.
Bob
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

It depends on how often you are going to move it. It if once in a while then the patio model is probably a better choice. If you will move it often then a trailer model is easier.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

You could always get one of the hybrid models with the bigger tires on it. That way it would be much easier to move. If you don't want the hybrid model, I'm sure you could get wheels put on the standard patio for a little bit more money.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

That idea was my original direction having a multiple option... buying a patio model and loading it within a trailer to be strapped down when transported.

Have done that for the Lang 48 patio...

Should have seen the fun how a Lang 60 mobile (12 ft long tongue to tail) fits within a 16' enclosed trailer.

And there's the Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen - added golf cart tires to better maneuverability.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Probably depends on the size of your permanent location and how hard it is to get in and out of that spot, but having the ability to move it might give you a reason to move it as well (comps, charity cooks, etc).
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
That idea was my original direction having a multiple option... buying a patio model and loading it within a trailer to be strapped down when transported.

Have done that for the Lang 48 patio...

Should have seen the fun how a Lang 60 mobile (12 ft long tongue to tail) fits within a 16' enclosed trailer.

And there's the Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen - added golf cart tires to better maneuverability.
Love this idea. Then you can make trailer area your prep station, etc...

Unread 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Bperkins01
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks all. Maybe the big 4 wheels on. The patio model make sense.
Easy on and off a utility trailer. Hmm... Food for thought.
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

You can mount something like this to your utility trailer to make it easier to load.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I was in the same situation a couple years ago. Really wanted a trailered Lang 48 or 60 but most of the time it would be sitting the back yard and so determined a unit like that was just not practical. I picked up a used Lang 48 for the back yard and another mobile unit for big parties, a Good One Rodeo. Which by the way is a GREAT cooker!
The Rodeo is just around 500 pounds and two of us can roll it onto a utility trailer easily. A few tie-down straps and of we go. For my purposes, a couple contests and a few on site cooks a year, it is well suited. Plus we have a utility trailer to use for many other things. Really glad I did not get a trailered model.
Smokin' D is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
dummy que
Knows what a fatty is.

Default patio or trailor

having had the same problem of starting to bbq i used 2chargrillers to copok for freinds partys,weddings,anversares,ect. the problem was cook at home or pack up my stuff and cook there problem solved LANG 60 orginal enoff space to cook on not that hard to move and far cheaper than traylor
dummy que is offline   Reply With Quote