The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

That is a great looking rig!
sliding_billy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
clweed
Knows what a fatty is.

I ordered the Insulated Vertical from Lonstar Grillz last week, but I am having second thoughts after seeing your beast and watching the videos on the vertical offset and warming oven.

I really like the oven option without using smoke
clweed is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
I ordered the Insulated Vertical from Lonstar Grillz last week, but I am having second thoughts after seeing your beast and watching the videos on the vertical offset and warming oven.

I really like the oven option without using smoke
Yeah, I guess it depends on weather you're a set it and forget it guy or if you don't mind tending a fire. As a long time stick burner user the model that I chose was a no brainer and you're right about the oven, the versatility that it gives you is frightening! I can smoke at 275 in the main chamber and bake cornbread in the oven at 400 at the same time, it's by far the most functional warmer/oven I've ever seen. Down the road I may have Chris build me a trailer pit for competitions and I'll guarantee you that the oven WILL be going on there when I do!

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Smokinwright
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Thanks! Which model did you get? I actually chose the design and size of mine because I plan to do some catering in the future and wanted to get as much capacity and versatility as possible in as small a footprint as possible. The 30" x 24" cabinet has six slide-outs and will hold twelve briskets and Lord only knows how many half chickens or racks of spares, all in a 2' x 4 1/2' footprint. I doubt that I'll ever fill the thing up, but if I need to cook a lot of food, I know that I can!
I bought the 24x60 trailer pit with vertical. Only thing I wish I would have done is got it with a insulated firebox. Other than that, I have no complaints.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinwright View Post
I bought the 24x60 trailer pit with vertical. Only thing I wish I would have done is got it with a insulated firebox. Other than that, I have no complaints.
Had I not opted for the warmer/oven I would have gone for the insulated box myself. I get pretty good economy with the 1/2" firebox along with the oven on top which captures the heat that would normally be lost. It gets good and hot in there and the heat radiates through the right side of the cabinet which helps maintain the cooking temperature in the main chamber. I only use a little more fuel than I did with the old NB Black Diamond!

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
BMCSRET
On the road to being a farker

Nice to read all of the good reviews. I am 5 to 7 weeks out on the one I ordered. I chose the 24''x48'' with 24''x24''x36'' vertical smoker. Time has sure slowed down since I put in the order!

Unread 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
IslandSmoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

These good reviews are getting me excited!!
I recently received a quote from Chris for a 24 x 30 w/oven and I'm gonna make a decision soon. The cooking capacity is enormous! I plan on cooking butts hawaiian style and I need to keep the pork really moist. Have you used that smoker with water?

Question: Do you think the 1/2 firebox is a necessary option in Hawaii or should I just stick with the standard 1/4?

As for the oven, I was hoping I could get the temp in the oven down to 165 for jerky but it sounds like she gets a too hot! Might have to leave the door cracked open LOL

Happy to hear all who are enjoying their LSG smokers and all who are buying their LSG smokers!

Aloha
IslandSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote