The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

For sandwiches only...

Congers Smoke Shack in San Antonio sells Sandwiches for $6.00
Platter with 2 sides is $9.00

Franklin's in Austin sells Sandwiches for $7.00
Platter with 2 sides is $12.00

They both open for Lunch only and close when sold out, main difference is the smoke shack virtually has no overhead as the trailer is parked under the inner loop overpass, where Franklin's is a building.

Unread 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
For sandwiches only...

Congers Smoke Shack in San Antonio sells Sandwiches for $6.00
Platter with 2 sides is $9.00

Franklin's in Austin sells Sandwiches for $7.00
Platter with 2 sides is $12.00

They both open for Lunch only and close when sold out, main difference is the smoke shack virtually has no overhead as the trailer is parked under the inner loop overpass, where Franklin's is a building.
Are we talking Pork? Because Brisket at Franklin's and La Barbeque where John Lewis works, these are both $8.00 Sandwiches. My mind processes things different down here in Texas because even as transient as Houston is and as good as I think my pork is, the first and biggest seller is the brisket.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
BB-Kuhn
Full Fledged Farker

If the sliders are profitable to sell, who cares? A sale is a sale. I'm with you - get people hooked on the food any way you can, they'll pay full price next time. It's not like you are going to have repeat customers who only buy a 2.50 slider. But even if you did, as long as it costs less to make than that (it should) who cares?

If not, you need to adjust your prices so you make money on the slider. It doesn't have to be a huge money maker, but you don't give them away for a loss.

Especially at fests, or anywhere with multiple vendors for that matter - lots of people like to have a small taste of a lot of different places' food. They don't want to have 10 choices and have to settle for just one because nobody sells small sample portions.

Keep them on the menu - it will put your food in more people's mouths, letting more people become customers for next time and that is the key to success.

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
bbqsisterofthebrethren
Got rid of the matchlight.

You say that you don't know how many of each you sell because you are too busy. Here is a very simple way to your counting problem if you do not have a cash register with separate keys for each food item you sell.
Before each shift, count the buns for each sandwich (full size and slider). If you have any waste (less than perfect bun or, God forbid, a returned product), place them in a container to use for bread pudding or something. This is inventory that needs to be counted and not wasted. If you have returned product, put that in a different container so you know the count.
At the end of each shift, count the number of each bun left and subtract any waste you saved. You have your sales on each type of sandwich. Throw away any soiled bun waste and save the good bread for puddin you can sell for additional profit.
bbqsisterofthebrethren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
trambone
Found some matches.

If you increase the price of a full sandwich and lower the slider price you'll increase sales on sliders.
trambone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #21
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I'm higher than cost x3 at $5
r
that is not even possible unless you are selling sliders for 5

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

sandwich only vending 7-9 all day

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

If you are already at greater than x3 on both products then you could give a coupon to all those that purchase a Slider for "x" amount off of the next purchase of a full Sammie. This is a method we use to track how our "promotional" items work. Number of coupons redeemed tells us how many people decided the promo item was good enough to come back for the "full sized" version. We get close to 100% redemption. Once you do some data analysis you can decide which items are more beneficial and subsequently drop the coupon promotion.

If your cost allows, you could try $1 off the next "full Sammie" purchase. (I only suggest the $1 amount since we try to keep all of our prices at even dollar amounts to avoid making coin change....we include tax in our price as well). You might even try moving your Slider price up to an even $3 to help offset the coupon redemption cost.

Is your $5/$2.75 pricing for the sandwiches only? No chips, etc included? Just curious since our price is for a Sammie ONLY. ALL sides are priced a la carte.

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
r
that is not even possible unless you are selling sliders for 5
Very possible here

Pork cost me $1.29lb x 2 at 50% yield $2.58lb cooked that is $0.86 for a 1/3lb, bun costs me $0.19 So I have $1.05 in a 1/3lb pork sandwich not counting the minor cost in rub or sauce.

Yes bizznessman just for a sandwich $5
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

No, dont bother, why double your work load for the same outcome,imho
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
AZScott
Take a breath!

I only vend at 2 events and both of them pull massive amounts of people looking to eat. My first goal is money and the second is for my food to be better than everyone else's. If I'm at an event and it is slammed with people waiting in line all over why in the world would you intentionally reduce your gross profit? That is the only thing you are doing by offering an item with a great food cost but with an absolutely horrible gross profit. Think lean, mean, super efficient money making machine without cutting corners..

Lets say for a slider your estimated total cost (labor, fuel, wood, entry, paper goods, insurance, fuel, meals, etc) is 1.40 and you sell it for 3.00 so you walk with 1.60 profit on each and a little hope they won't get full elsewhere and come back to you. Cool. Now lets say you sell a full size sandwich for $7.00. Now lets assume that we are at a 1/3 pound and the estimated total cost is 2.50 or 36%. You just made $4.50 per sandwich. You have to sell 2.8 sliders to make the same gross profit. You will also notice the total cost margin per slider is higher since your overhead costs stay static. If you see two people are going to eat one sandwich you can always offer to cut it in half.

A restaurant will use sliders as an appetizer to share since they do not rely on hope that they will come back and buy more. They know you will get a soda and order a full meal and possibly a desert. Vending, I assume that I have one shot and one shot only since it is rare to get many repeat customers at a food focused vending event. You need to find what you want to make and then figure out the easiest and quickest way to get there. Going cheap may be the easiest but its not the quickest and it increases the risk of not making your money back. The 3 X food cost is a simple concept that is easy to undrstand but the money is made with gross profit. If you want a cheap item on the menu decide what the minimum amount of many is that you want to make per customer. If it's 4.00 get some ~1/4# sausage at < $4 a pound and put it on a stick and sell it for $5.00. People like stuff on sticks.

Someone mentioned Franklin so let's use him as an example. Brisket is by far his biggest seller and it has the worst food cost margin on the menu, other than a beef short rib on Saturdays. he charges 17 a pound but his meat cost is more than likely ~3.35 a pound with a 45% to 50% yield or a prepared food cost of 7.44 a pound before rub, wood, sauce, etc come into play. They sell brisket for $17 a pound so his gross profit is 9.56 per pound sold but he has a food cost of 43%. That food cost % looks bad but when you are selling 1500 pounds of meat a day (not sure if that is precook weight) you are absolutely killing it compared to a taco shop selling street tacos with a 16% food cost serving just as many people. Those are my thoughts anyways.

Last edited by AZScott; 09-04-2013 at 05:42 PM..
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #27
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Very possible here

Pork cost me $1.29lb x 2 at 50% yield $2.58lb cooked that is $0.86 for a 1/3lb, bun costs me $0.19 So I have $1.05 in a 1/3lb pork sandwich not counting the minor cost in rub or sauce.

You have to think also about how much time it takes to:
1)purchase your food
2) prep your food
3)cook your food, wood, tins, cooker repairs
4)clean up costs, time-cleaners,soaps,towels, water
5)fuel to get to event
6)insurance cost
7)sales tax from the 5 bucks or is it plus tax?
incidental break downs, a blown trailer tire will cost you 175
(9) and every other thing that costs!!!!

5 bucks a sammie is toooo cheap..you have alot more into than 1.05

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Very possible here

You are selling yourself short. That is all I am telling you. I sell a lot of food, $5 for a sandwich is way too cheap. Not only that, unless you are weighing each one, you leave no room for error.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with JackedUp and BigBelly. IMHO you need to increase your sammie price. We sell ours for $7 (they do get some chips with that but the cost is negligible). But the decision is ultimately yours.

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
You have to think also about how much time it takes to:
1)purchase your food
2) prep your food
3)cook your food, wood, tins, cooker repairs
4)clean up costs, time-cleaners,soaps,towels, water
5)fuel to get to event
6)insurance cost
7)sales tax from the 5 bucks or is it plus tax?
incidental break downs, a blown trailer tire will cost you 175
(9) and every other thing that costs!!!!

5 bucks a sammie is toooo cheap..you have alot more into than 1.05

Missed in the above list (which has indirect costs and ****-happens costs) are actual direct costs:
1. Rubs. They can add a few cents or more to every sammy.
2. Injections.
3. Foil?
4. Fuel (for the smoker). I dont know about you, but my Lang likes to EAT.
5. Ice. (I dont know about you, but I put my butts on ice when transporting them)

Is it served on a plate? In a wrapping of some kind? More $$$. El-cheapo utensils? More $$$.

I ran some numbers for my wife a few months ago when she wanted to volunteer to do this as a fund raiser for the booster club. I showed her that they'd have to sell these for $7 each just to make a little money, and I mean it was a little for a LOT of effort and work.

I'll see if I cant find it.