MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
HDOFDC
Got Wood.

Default Burnt ends help

I am on call this coming weekend and since I am housebound I decided to cook several things. I have a question about burnt ends. I am going to do my first full brisket and want to cut the point up into burnt ends. How long do you guys cook the burnt ends after the flat is done? Somehow I can't imagine cooking a whole brisket for 8-12 hours and then spending several more hours on the smoker cooking burnt ends! How do you know when they are done?
HDOFDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
imaisufan
On the road to being a farker

You'll get a million answers here.
I cook until flat is done, separate flat from point, wrap flat in foil and towels and throw in a cooler. Then I throw rub on the part of the point that was attached to the flat. Then back on the cooker for a couple of hours, then cube it and serve with sauce on the side.
It doesn't hurt the flat to rest, so I just build it into my cook time. Real burnt ends are worth the time.
imaisufan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

I am going to ditto imaisufan. Sometimes after smoking the point for an hour or two, I will cube into inch by inch squares and put in a pan with a mixture of half beef broth (or au jus) and bbq sauce. I will then place the pan back on the smoker for 30 minutes to an hour to set the glaze. Burnt ends, I'm not sure there is a better bite in bbq.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000milesofsmoke View Post
Burnt ends, I'm not sure there is a better bite in bbq.
As a tried and true pork bbq fiend even I have to quote this for truth.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

We will go up to 90 minutes to fully caramelize that gooey goodness into the cubed ends.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I'll tell you that last time I did burnt ends I was thinking like you. "I'm not going to wait a few more hours after I had this thing on all this time!" Well' i threw them back on the smoker for only an hour and they were still tuff when I served them. I got rave reviews about the flat but people were to busy chewing on the burnt ends to get any criteques out of them. So please wait until they are done is the best advice I can give.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
HDOFDC
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the replies. So if a brisket cook takes 12 hours you still spend another 2-4 hours on the burnt ends or can you save them for later the next day and cook them down then? And like the brisket flat, they are done when they are done. No set cook time after the flat is done and in the cooler.
HDOFDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but the point is the prime jewel of the brisket. Why waste it on faux burnt ends?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm going to go with forget the burnt ends and slice the point.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post
I'm going to go with forget the burnt ends and slice the point.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
16Adams

Default 7.5# full packer

I have best luck with packers under 12#. Don't oversmoke and don't undercook. Enjoy

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:43 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote