The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
5string
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

If you really want it down to bare metal you could call around to local auto repair shops. Many have bead blasters that can easily remove that rust for you.

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Basic Rust Removal

Surface rust can often be removed using a simple solution of one part white vinegar and one part water. Soak the piece for 30 minutes in a container large enough to treat the entire grate at once. If not completely submerged in the vinegar solution, the result will be an unevenness of color. Then scrub using a stainless steel scouring pad or steel wool, and rinse well. Additional half hour soaks/scrub sessions may be necessary and are OK, but don't leave the piece soaking for longer periods. Once free of rust, the piece should be thoroughly rinsed, dried, and seasoned to prevent the return of the rust.

Finishing Touches

Next, you go to the hand tools. I use a variety of things for the final touches before seasoning, and only items that will not mar the iron.

Items I find useful include stainless steel Chore Boy™ scrubbers (never brass or copper, they will transfer their color to the iron), and a medium stainless steel bristled brush. Popsicle sticks and expired credit/gift cards cut into shapes are great for getting into crannies to scrape and chip away at stubborn bits. Bamboo skewers work well for deep cleaning loosened crud from fine details. Use 0000 steel wool for a final once-over on smooth surfaces.

Sometimes, there are some stubborn dark stains left behind, and that's not unusual. The thinking is don't use anything harsh to try to remove them or you risk damaging metal.

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I'm happy to report that it looks much better after seasoning. I will repeat that process and hopefully cook on it soon. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcleon51 View Post
I used a heavy duty wire wheel on my side grinder. That took it down to bare metal. I spray painted it and seasoned it.
I hope you enjoy the taste of paint...toxic! Do not paint grates or the inside of a grill/smoker, ever. Once cleaned up use crisco or a similar product to season cast iron.

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Molasses & water 10:1 ratio
http://youtu.be/b-_z4tinnXk

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

So people Spray paint Grates now?
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Wtd03
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHENS View Post
Man..I would just fire up the thing.....brush it good....and rub lard on it. Then tomorrow repeat. Its fine. I keep a can of cheap pam in my cooking g area and spray the grate when I'm done cooking. After I scrape it that is? Show us a picture of how bad it is? Bet mines pitted worse?
This is the answer. I have the same Akorn grill. I hadn't smoked in months and opened it up and it was completely rusted with mold on the inside. Fired it up to 700 degrees to kill everything then slapped some grease on the grates, shut the vents and let it simmer while the grill was cooling down for the night.

Grill was good to go next day for the cook
Wtd03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Manana
Knows what a fatty is.

We have an akorn and the same thing happened. We used a wire brush to get some off and elbow grease to get more off then just heated it up and re-seasoned. We also bought a cover for it at Lowes. It was $30 but I'm sure a piece of tarp would work too.