• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket and Butt cook from the weekend - pRon

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This past weekend my dad had an old hunting and motorcycle riding buddy that he hadn't seen in years come down from Wisconsin for the weekend. I was in 2nd grade the last time I've seen him, 20 some years ago.

Dad requested that I fire up the smokers and I couldn't decide if I wanted to cook pork shoulders or brisket so I did both.

Cookers coming up to temp - my homebuilt and my brother's 18.5" WSM (first time cooking on an 18.5 rather than my 22.5 and it was rock solid)

Couple 7 pound butts on the smoker - rubbed up with Big Mista's rub (love this stuff)

3 hours into the cook - mix of hickory and cherry doing it's job

Since I was just sitting on the deck enjoying the morning, I figured I might as well fire up dad's kettle and cook up some breakfast. Naked fatty, homemade butter biscuits and fried eggs for sammiches.

Brisket at the 5 hour mark (forgot to take a picture as it went on the cooker). Seasoned liberally with kosher salt and cracked pepper

Pork is done and ready to rest

Brisket done and ready to rest

Flat sliced up

Point cooling off to be sliced for burnt ends

All in all this was my best do on both the pork shoulders and the brisket. I am loving the mix of cherry and hickory and for this cook I dialed up the temps to 300 on both cookers. Everyone loved the brisket, tender, moist with a great peppery crust. :clap2:

Everything looks killer! Start the day off with a grilled biscuit and things go up from there! Excellent!!

The sandwich looks great! The brisket and butts look pretty good!

Back