ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
AWaters
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Does a pre-rub coating really do anything?

I have seen and heard of many schemes for a pre rub coating on meat. Some use mustard, claiming it makes a better bark. Some use oil, claiming the oil-soluble spices in the rub penetrate the meat better.

I have used rubs with and without a coating and never found it to make a lick of difference in bark quality or flavor. Just about the only thing I have seen a coating matter on is the skin on poultry - a little olive oil seems to make the skin darken up a bit quicker.

So, does a coating really do anything? Is there something more subtle in the flavor difference than I am picking up on? Is it just something that allows one cook to say they do something different than another? Is there any consensus?

What say you?

Alex
AWaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My experience has been as yours; no noticeable difference (when we tried mustard). I didnt try oil...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 08-19-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

IMO NO! if anything it lessens the formation of a smoke ring. If your putting on that much rub that you need glue to make it stick you wasting the rub it will burn & scorch. I use seasoning( rubs) in a proportional amount like salt & pepper at the table. If you can only see the seasoning and not the meat you used to much. The meat is the star of the show and it's flavor should shine through the seasoning(RUB) is an enhancer/ The meat is not meant to be a delivery system to shovel burnt & scorched spices to your pie hole

Last edited by Bludawg; 08-19-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I tried both, using dijon mustard on two Boston butts and leaving it off a third before applying rub/spices when I smoked them all together. I couldn't tell ANY difference between them either with flavor of the mustard or flavor of additional rub/spices that may have stayed on because of the mustard for them to adhere to. Sounds good and looks good on television, but through experience, I can see no practical advantage to applying the "pre-rub".
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

On ribs I have found the rub will sometimes rip/tear on the bone side when I used mustard. I had a friend grab a finished rack with tongs and the whole bone side of the rub dang near fell off in one piece. After that I never used mustard again and haven't had a problem. Completely unnecessary and possibly makes it worse if you ask me.

I've also tried different oils on ribs and found them to be an unnecessary mess that ended up giving my ribs a greasy texture that I didn't care for.

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

If I rub early I feel not using a binder mustard/EVOO the rub actually appears to sink in the meat more..
ICDEDTURKES is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Ya but it makes you so Cool at Comps..........
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
AWaters
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am not the only one who has tried the pre-rub and then stopped. I usually have my rub on several hours before the cook (even overnight on larger cuts). Maybe that it why it makes no difference?

Alex
AWaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
drjiveturkey
Knows what a fatty is.

I use to use mustard all the time. Now I only do it if I rub it right before throwing it on the smoker. If I rub over night, I will just put it on dry then wrap in plastic.
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWaters View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am not the only one who has tried the pre-rub and then stopped. I usually have my rub on several hours before the cook (even overnight on larger cuts). Maybe that it why it makes no difference?

Alex
Nope I don't prep until after I light the pit. There is plenty of moisture on the surface of the meat to hold the exact amount of seasoning it needs.

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

I never believed in the mustard theory...or evoo for that matter...I tend to let the rub sit on the meat until it appears to liquefy, then I put it on the smoker

Unread 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
If I rub early I feel not using a binder mustard/EVOO the rub actually appears to sink in the meat more..
^ +1 I agree

I let the liberally rubbed butt sit covered in the fridge for about 12 hours, and then let it sit at room temp for 1 hour, and then apply another coat of rub before putting in the cooker.

I get both a great bark and a good smoke ring..

Last edited by IamMadMan; 08-19-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

i quit useing anything under my rub because I found all it did was make a mess of the kitchen, me and the smoker. Didnt see any real benifit from it.
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

Trigg uses oil. Just saying.

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper is all one needs, apply salt and pepper while pit is getting ready.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote