• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Does a pre-rub coating really do anything?

AWaters

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have seen and heard of many schemes for a pre rub coating on meat. Some use mustard, claiming it makes a better bark. Some use oil, claiming the oil-soluble spices in the rub penetrate the meat better.

I have used rubs with and without a coating and never found it to make a lick of difference in bark quality or flavor. Just about the only thing I have seen a coating matter on is the skin on poultry - a little olive oil seems to make the skin darken up a bit quicker.

So, does a coating really do anything? Is there something more subtle in the flavor difference than I am picking up on? Is it just something that allows one cook to say they do something different than another? Is there any consensus?

What say you?

Alex

My experience has been as yours; no noticeable difference (when we tried mustard). I didnt try oil...

Last edited:
IMO NO! if anything it lessens the formation of a smoke ring. If your putting on that much rub that you need glue to make it stick you wasting the rub it will burn & scorch. I use seasoning( rubs) in a proportional amount like salt & pepper at the table. If you can only see the seasoning and not the meat you used to much. The meat is the star of the show and it's flavor should shine through the seasoning(RUB) is an enhancer/ The meat is not meant to be a delivery system to shovel burnt & scorched spices to your pie hole

Last edited:
I tried both, using dijon mustard on two Boston butts and leaving it off a third before applying rub/spices when I smoked them all together. I couldn't tell ANY difference between them either with flavor of the mustard or flavor of additional rub/spices that may have stayed on because of the mustard for them to adhere to. Sounds good and looks good on television, but through experience, I can see no practical advantage to applying the "pre-rub".

On ribs I have found the rub will sometimes rip/tear on the bone side when I used mustard. I had a friend grab a finished rack with tongs and the whole bone side of the rub dang near fell off in one piece. After that I never used mustard again and haven't had a problem. Completely unnecessary and possibly makes it worse if you ask me.

I've also tried different oils on ribs and found them to be an unnecessary mess that ended up giving my ribs a greasy texture that I didn't care for.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am not the only one who has tried the pre-rub and then stopped. I usually have my rub on several hours before the cook (even overnight on larger cuts). Maybe that it why it makes no difference?

Alex

I use to use mustard all the time. Now I only do it if I rub it right before throwing it on the smoker. If I rub over night, I will just put it on dry then wrap in plastic.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am not the only one who has tried the pre-rub and then stopped. I usually have my rub on several hours before the cook (even overnight on larger cuts). Maybe that it why it makes no difference?

Alex
Nope I don't prep until after I light the pit. There is plenty of moisture on the surface of the meat to hold the exact amount of seasoning it needs.

I never believed in the mustard theory...or evoo for that matter...I tend to let the rub sit on the meat until it appears to liquefy, then I put it on the smoker

If I rub early I feel not using a binder mustard/EVOO the rub actually appears to sink in the meat more..

^ +1 I agree

I let the liberally rubbed butt sit covered in the fridge for about 12 hours, and then let it sit at room temp for 1 hour, and then apply another coat of rub before putting in the cooker.

I get both a great bark and a good smoke ring..

Last edited:
i quit useing anything under my rub because I found all it did was make a mess of the kitchen, me and the smoker. Didnt see any real benifit from it.

Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper is all one needs, apply salt and pepper while pit is getting ready.

I have found that rubbing with mustard only makes me have to wash my hands and spice jars 2x more that when I don't use it.
So maybe it does serve a purpose!?:loco:

I use to use mustard, but I have not used anything to hold on the rub in years I just dont think it adds anything to the end product. I just sprinkle rub or seasoning on about an hour or so before I toss the meat in the smoker

I used to use a mustard slather that has beer, brown sugar, a little homemade rub, and some tabasco in it on everything. I then made some ribs with the slather and my rub on it, some with a layer of Lawreys and then my no salt rub on it and a couple slabs with just some kosher salt and my rub on it. The lawreys ribs were way to salty, the ones with the slather and rub on it were pretty good, but the ones with just kosher salt and a little rub on them were by far the best ones. I now only use the slather on butts and whole shoulders because I think the bark comes out a little more flavorful on those bigger cuts of pork, but that could just be a bunch of bull chit also.

^

I let the liberally rubbed butt sit covered in the fridge for about 12 hours, and then let it sit at room temp for 1 hour, and then apply another coat of rub before putting in the cooker.

I get both a great bark and a good smoke ring..

This is EXACTLY what I do for butts, having abandoned any prerub coating all together.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Alex

I will still use zesty Italian dressing as a binder at times. Most of the time I just apply moderate amount of rub directly on the meat lately. I always seem to get great smoke rings, even when using the Italian dressing. Getting flavor into the meat has never been an issue for me. I want the meat to taste like meat.

The only thing I use mustard for is sauce, mainly Shack Attack. I actually don't care for mustard, but it works in the Shack sauce.

Back