ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
WvQ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8blsfr View Post
Sounds like it's time for a career change and open up a BBQ house....
Great Idea, just open it up near Morgantown, WV

Unread 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

I have no idea how I misspelled mountain. I have been a season ticket holder for years and make the 11 hour drive to games every home weekend.

Morgantown just got a great new bbq joint orginally from Alabama. Martins bbq. The same wvu grad exec that was instrumental in expanding jim n nicks is helping him.

Martins also got a stadium contract and will be served at the football games.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
WvQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
I have no idea how I misspelled mountain. I have been a season ticket holder for years and make the 11 hour drive to games every home weekend.

Morgantown just got a great new bbq joint orginally from Alabama. Martins bbq. The same wvu grad exec that was instrumental in expanding jim n nicks is helping him.

Martins also got a stadium contract and will be served at the football games.
I was just giving you a hard time, it's funny though that you mentioned Martins. My wife just said they catered for her work. She said their pork shoulder was on par with mine. I said "at least I married an honest woman if you tell me you like someone else's butt as well as mine"

Unread 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I beg to differ, you DO know what great BBQ is; its what your family (first), your friends (second) and you (third) think is great! OK, you are the control here, as you continue to experiment and improve you will be the one to know when it gets "even more greater" (made that up) but as long as those folks you cook for are happy you are doing it right! I'm done preachin.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
smoke'n Frank
Got Wood.

I grew up in southern ca and our "bbq's" were the boil/sauced ribs and at the time i thought that was the thing!! Moved to NC and experienced true Q and now even to me the restaurant bbq is hit and miss i have a couple tried and true places. the last 3-4 years i have been getting into the real sitting back hanging out 6-10 hr smokes to make some good Q. When i started my own smoking i had no idea the difference between a butt and a ham i know i know..... in the last yr i think i have finally figured out the smoking thing and now having several people beggin me just about every weekend to bring them a smoked butt. its all about practice, dont let a failure stop you, you will have fails...... and its all about good times and good food...... i dont have a fancy smoker that cost me 1000's of dollars i have a char griller propane/charcoal and weber kettle cooker you get at lowes, and it has put out some of the best bbq i have and some of my friends have ever had.
smoke'n Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #36
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Get out in the country. Lots of visible rigs under carports. UDS, Offsets, Eggs, Webers.

I hadn't noticed all of them till I joined this site.

Heck there are three Offsets larger than mine within 1/4 mile of my house.

As for as taste, it don't take long to realize you can make better BBQ than lots of restaurants with BBQ on their signs.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
jmellor
Full Fledged Farker

If its any trade off you do have pepperoni buns in wva that I've never had better or seen elsewhere. At least you have a site dedicated to bbq here to help! Slight hi-jack over.....

"Yeah, all those things, responsibility, pressure. It`s a bit stressful. I try and come to terms with it by not thinking about it." - Joe Strummer
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #38
SurrealOne

I think the way a lot of the others do...there's (more) bad, (a lot) good, and (some) great. In the end, if you, your family and friends like it...then it's good. I've had some awesome BBQ, but I grew up being kinda confused on what BBQ should be. Growing up in southern OK, I had a lot of TX Q...but then I moved up to NE OK and most of the places here are KC style. I didn't really have any idea how to cook it...until I came to the brethren. Now my wife, brother and friends ask me weekly to make them ribs or a butt...or three. I figured out it's not the style...just what you like. For all I know it could be some horrible crap, but I sure do dig it when everbody wants me to cook for them on my weekends off. In the end, it's all about making it into what you want it to be.

Unread 07-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #39
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
"Great BBQ" is all about preference and we all know preferences are subjective. When it comes to taste there's really no standard for great tasting bbq because the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

As crazy as it sounds there are a lot of people who think Chili's baby back ribs are "great bbq". Even after they've tasted what we (the Brethren) would call "Real BBQ". A lot of it is what you've grown accustomed to eating.

For me personally I cannot understand how someone can take a perfectly good smoked slab of ribs and CAKE K.C. Masterpiece bbq sauce on it and call that "great bbq". But they do. I see it all the time. So what you're searching for is really a moving target. The "greatness" of the bbq will many times depend on you and your taste buds.
Bingo
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Dauvis
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Last night was a company event that was catered. When I got there, there was an aroma of BBQ in the air. Got to the table and found pulled pork drowning in BBQ sauce.

Unread 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post

Literally, I've had women whisper in my ear: "these ribs are orgasmic"
No bone jokes yet? What have we become?
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Great BBQ is like art. People know it when they see (or rather taste) it.

I started smoking pork shoulder to try & replicate a place that my family got good pulled pork from when I was a kid. I did a lot of research on the interwebz, then jumped in & developed a process on my Weber kettle. After a few trial & error sessions, I got a handle on what I liked and what my family & friends liked. My wife & I went and tried a handful of well known BBQ places, some were good, some not so good, and some were downright awful compared to what I made at home.

My point is that since you are in a BBQ poor area, try developing your process to where you, friends & family are satisfied with what you make (you will know because people start asking when you are cooking again), and compare yours to others.

Sounds like you are already on the right track. Just keep practicing and you will achieve good results.

Tags
Myron, West Virginia