• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ PitMaster question

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was watching last night and had a question. I know they say a Jambo pit is one of the best pits out but, one piece of wood really? someone explain this to me please? I use a stick burner and would never dream or using the amount of wood that Pellet Envy did?

It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.

It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.

Thats AMAZING!!! I have some JAMBO ENVY!!! lol

Yep...

Most Jambo cooks use some charcoal to build a coal base and then one split every 45 minutes or so will hold it at 275-ish.

i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money

we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook. :thumb:

I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?

we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook. :thumb:

I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?
It would depend on how large your fire was to begin with. A split every 45 min or so is simply to maintain what is already there. I keep my pit at around 250 normally but sometimes I'll go to 275 or 300.

i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money
Yeah, there's a lot of pits with insulated boxes out there but most of them don't hold a candle to a Jambo! Jamie's got the design that works and even though I think that his pits are a little over priced he definitely puts them together better than anyone else. If I had the cash to spend, I wouldn't hesitate!:wink:

+1 they're the bomb,for sure... I'd need to win the lottery, but IF I do, a nice Jambo is on my Christmas list...

If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.

If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.

thats the thing that takes a little experience and time. i let mine get about 10 degrees, then i throw one on. or you can not wait and put a piece fairly close and it will slowly light.

What Andrew said.

To me it feels like fire control is more art than science. A few tips here and there and practice is what it takes. The practice is the fun part.

Once you get the temp up inside the pit, you only need as enough "fuel" to counter the cooling effect of the pit as air goes through it. Doesn't take much.

Keep in mind, that hard wood burns hotter in general than charcoal or something - you can keep a small-medium sized charcoal smoker in bbq temp range with only 8-10 coals lit at a time. "one little log" is a hell of a lot bigger and produces more heat than 8-10 briquettes.

Back