ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Welcome Beck. Out of curiousity, where do you live?

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue Thermapen
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
USMC
Full Fledged Farker

Usually the smell of smoker smoke attracts people, not detest them. Must be communist in the neighborhood.

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
VoodoChild
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome ...great Idea on the Mini WSm ! Awesome Thinking ..Youll love your Mini...I love the Idea of the Q320 as A shield.
[I]1-Weber 26.75 otg[/I]
[I]Nexgrill Gas[/I]
[I]Beefeater 3000s w/Cart -Gas[/I]
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Wow - that's a helluva welcome - thanks! I see my idiotic problem was now trying to post in the "welcome to our humble abode - new member forum" - it's nothing but stickies - that shoulda been my first clue

I unfortunately live in a condo complex in greenwood village. Some dude's got a Hastybake on his third story balcony so the HOA can s__ it. They sent me a letter stating that the only allowed grills are those that are connected to the natural gas line (so my big tank on the gasser is also illegal apparently). I think some troll narc'ed on me when I tried to do the pork butt on the 22.5 OTS. I was out there all day drankin, playing music, and it by the time I hit 190 it was 1am (started at 2:30pm). I was lit more than any coals at that point, and it came out like jerky. Not sure what I did wrong, but it rained a bit, didn't foil or inject since it was my first time, but the temps in the smoker were about 225-250 99% of the time. Damn thing stalled at about 162 for at least 4+ hours. Used the recommended maverick et732. Could definitely use some help on that front. It was only about 2.3lbs, so maybe that was it too.

My set up might be a little ridiculous. I have 15'x4' patio on which there exists the Q320, 22.5"OTS, smokey joe silver, and now mini WSM. I've gone a little nuts with all this lately, and it doesn't help that I'm on the first floor - right on front street for all to see.

I dream of competing in a competition one day. Maybe the Kicka$$ BBQ competition in South Park (yes, that South Park). I'm already kind of pudgy, white and have a fairly metal beard/goatee - so I figure I already look the part = half way there.

Pics would sure be helpful, and after I paint the mini, I'll be sure to post those. I was thinking of a steelers logo that I've seen before, but our colorado flag is also pretty awesome. That thing is amazing, and I can't wait to do more. I'm making some bread and herb stuffing right now to stuff a pork loin with and smoke it tomorrow. Can't wait, and I'll do my best for some pics.

Last edited by BecknCO; 07-15-2013 at 09:26 PM..
BecknCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
They sent me a letter stating that the only allowed grills are those that are connected to the natural gas line.
connect a NG line to your OTS to light the charcoal, problem solved

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Crazy Harry is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
connect a NG line to your OTS to light the charcoal, problem solved
^^^^ THIS THIS

By the way welcome, and we thought we beat the Nazi's in '45 but i guess a few still linger in CO

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren. It's sad that you have all that great Weber equipment and can't use half of it. I hope things go well with the mini. I find mine to be one of my most versatile cookers.

As far as the butt, I think it was too small. That gives it a lot more surface relative to weight which could make it dry out easier. Get a bigger one next time. (And turn down the tunes in the wee hours. )

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
BecknCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Welcome to the Brethren. It's sad that you have all that great Weber equipment and can't use half of it. I hope things go well with the mini. I find mine to be one of my most versatile cookers.

As far as the butt, I think it was too small. That gives it a lot more surface relative to weight which could make it dry out easier. Get a bigger one next time. (And turn down the tunes in the wee hours. )

That's actually super helpful - thanks! I'll try a bigger one next time. The one I got looked a lot like a thick ribeye - maybe 2.5" in height and flat as a pancake. The NG line hooked up as a charcoal burner is also a great idea, but alas, my POS condo doesn't even have one. Wouldn't use it if it did though. I'm thinking I'll drag everything to the damn pool area if I have to. The fiance and I are only renting so this is only temporary, but no practice and I can't be ready for next year's comps!

Do you think I should write them a letter back stating that others have 40lb propane tanks and awesome hasty bakes, or should I just cite that I'm in compliance with their stupid rules and also those of the south metro fire authority -- or both? I always place the chimeny and charcoal grills and smoker 10+ feet away from any combustible structures and the patio is concrete with brick walls and a sprinkler system - per the fire dept. I wish this was the first time, but last apartment complex we were in called the fire dept repeatedly causing me to sell an 18.5" kettle...

Maybe I just smoke stuff after dark or something...I don't know..pretty frustrated.
BecknCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

I vote for a new neighborhood filled with folks who know how to preciate cookin. Besides that sour note I extend my greetings. Here you will find the answer to most everything you need to know about smoking.

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #25
Tonybel
is Blowin Smoke!

Welcome to the site.
Look forward to seeing your cooks.

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
TalonBrew

Damn. I was guessing Highland's Ranch. Didn't know GV was that Nazi.

Howdy. I'm down in Parker. There is a comp down here Labor Day weekend. I'm trying to screw my courage up to enter it, so if you want a comp you know you're safe from coming in last..... I'll have that covered. Plus, it's closer than South Park.

Cheers and welcome,

Howard.

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #27
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome dude, these people are helpful and all that. I've stepped outta line a few times. they just point me right and we smoke on. I intentionally live in a neighborhood with no HOA... Maybe move, LOL.... But if it's your calling... You might consider it. I would. 4 words man, INSTANT READ MEAT THERMOMETER. And the road map, should have you lookin' like a pro in short order.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #28
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
Do you think I should write them a letter back stating that others have 40lb propane tanks and awesome hasty bakes, or should I just cite that I'm in compliance with their stupid rules and also those of the south metro fire authority -- or both? I always place the chimeny and charcoal grills and smoker 10+ feet away from any combustible structures and the patio is concrete with brick walls and a sprinkler system - per the fire dept. I wish this was the first time, but last apartment complex we were in called the fire dept repeatedly causing me to sell an 18.5" kettle...
I have no idea. The first thing that comes to mind is a propane fired smoker. It seems like that is tolerated, if not strictly legal. (Legality may depend on their specific wording. Propane is actually extracted from natural gas and crude oil.)

We were at the beach a couple weekends ago and the folks upwind of us were grilling on a pretty smoky fire so I can see why a rule like this came into effect. If charcoal is allowed by the pool, perhaps that is a useful option.

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

You cooked a 2-3 lb butt for nearly 12 hours at 225? I think that might have been your problem.

You will need to nail some things down, starting with the temperature inside your pit. Once you know that is correct, nail down the temperature readings from the probe.

A guideline for pork butt is 1.5 hours per pound @225. It shortens the higher the temp of your pit. That butt shouldn't have gone on longer than 4, maybe 5 hours.

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
bluzieq

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Welcome to the forum, man. Sorry to hear about your Nazi-runned neighborhood, that's farking ridiculous. Personally I'd think about relocating!
What he said,and fast!!