The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Which BBQ Guru Should I Get

I just got a WSM 18.5 for my birthday last week, so it's time to start the mods.

I'm wanting to get a Guru/climate control, but not sure which would be the best one for me.

Should I go with the Party Q or just splurg for the DX2? Of course the DX2 is probably "better", but is it so much better than it's worth the extra $$$?

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Upstate, I wouldn't waste the money.

That WSM is basically a Ron Popeil machine once you get it seasoned. Set 'er and forget 'er. All I have with mine is a Maverick ET-732 so I can monitor temps without having to go outside when it's HTH. Save your $ and buy more meat!!

Your call though, Brother.
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I wasn't going to get one any time soon that's for sure. The first cook was a quick 1 hour pork chops, but once they were done I just left it rolling to see how the temp would hold up and an hour and a half later it was sitting in the same spot.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
kds9547
Take a breath!

I have both. I have cooked with the DX2 many times and it is awesome. One of the best investments I have made for long cooks.

I recently purchased the Party for use when I don't have electricity or need to run another smoker (without the added cost of another DX2). That and I was curious to see how it worked. I have only used it a couple of times but it worked like a champ.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I like to plug in the DX2 and not have to worry about batteries.

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker

I own a DX2 and love it for overnight cooks.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
DBH
On the road to being a farker

DX2 for sure.
22.5 OTG
Smokey Joe
E-330 gasser
More Thermapens than I know what to do with
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Another vote for the DX2

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Just remember, Upstate.

You don't need all those gadgets to cook good Q!
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
scm1226
Take a breath!

I already owned an igrill and a maverick. So I went with the Nanoq. I did that because it is cheaper then the digi q. And the parts can be used later if I decide to upgrade to a bigger guru set up.
Learn your pit first, don't get all fancy right now. You will cook good que. I also think its important to stay up all night and making sure everything is fine for a while. After you nail that yuncan upgrade to a auto temp.
Good luck.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

On a WSM I don't think you need one. Having said that, I would definitely get the DX2 over the Party if buying a Guru. And don't let the electricity scare you off. I use two 6 volt lantern batteries wired in series to power my DX2 when no power is available. I have about 16 hours of cook time on the batteries and they are still going strong.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
On a WSM I don't think you need one. Having said that, I would definitely get the DX2 over the Party if buying a Guru. And don't let the electricity scare you off. I use two 6 volt lantern batteries wired in series to power my DX2 when no power is available. I have about 16 hours of cook time on the batteries and they are still going strong.
Have heard this works well. How do ya connect the batteries to the Guru.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

I sometimes use like a 18 amp small deep cycle battery with a converter to ac from radio shack clips on battery terminals or I have 6.8 rechargeable battery that plugs right in.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I have the DigiQ2.... Works great as a tool and lets me sleep without worries..

When I am where I can't get electricity, I use 2) 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries directly to the power input...

Unread 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
kds9547
Take a breath!

When I can't get electricity, I just pop the PartyQ in. Voila!!!

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Have heard this works well. How do ya connect the batteries to the Guru.
I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v power jack, 2.5mm x 5.5mm. I soldered wires to it with alligator clips on the ends. Made a jumper with another piece of wire and alligator clips.

Clip the jumper to the pos lead on one batt and the negative on the other. Then hook the appropriate clip to the pos and neg to neg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guru batt.jpg (29.0 KB, 141 views)
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote