The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Rickybobby83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Here's a thought, with all the GMO's and crap pumped in to today's meat, you have a grater chance of getting something from the "safe food" they make for us. Back in the old days smoking food was common and standard practice since they did it have the sophisticated refrigeration we have today to preserve food. Tastes too fogging good to worry about the risks. Guess well find out in 10-20 years when peeps start coming down with something. But he way that I see it, smoking is older than TV so....
Rickybobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's right folks, keep thinking that mesquite is bad, and there will be more of it for those of us that like it and know how to cook with it.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Was that a YELLOW Thermapen he had in his case of probes

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark-O-Rama View Post
Just googled Mesquite and found a ton of info. Here's one brief explanation -

"CAUTION: Smoked foods smoked foods contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which are known carcinogens. Smoked foods are known to be carcinogenic when eaten as a regular part of a person's diet. "

That's just great... I should drop any minute now.

Though I do have to wonder how mankind made it without stoves, propane, etc if that is the case. We've been cooking over fire since we figured out we could.

A New Mexican transplant smoking and spicing up a suburban New York neighborhood.

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
BobM
Babbling Farker

The video was entertaining though.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Swine Spectator
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

I heard an interview on the radio with Walter Williams, a Nobel Prize winning Economist. He was talking about his doctor giving him a hard time about with diet. He said (paraphrasing):

"As an economist, do you know what the worst thing you could be is? An organ donor. If you enjoy drinking, smoking, and eating the ideal scenario would be to die when your heart, liver, and lungs all failed simultaneously. That means that you go the most out of them and left nothing on the table."

If you like mesquite, then use it. I'm a pecan man, myself.

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Mesquite may be poisonous, but hickory is REALLY poisonous, so send it all to me and I'll get rid of it for y'all. Same for pecan & cherry. Just trying to help.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
stl-rich
Full Fledged Farker

Much of what AB said in that episode is dubious but ya gotta love the red MasterTouch that he used for the ribs. I just got one