The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
grantw
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I got the kitchen aid 4.5 quart 300 watt off kijiji for 200 new in box never opened. Which is cheap here in the north. I tried it out on the pizza dough i normally make and to me it did a sweet job. That thing is going to mix me up an oversized milk shake soon, ill have to admit i like the winters better its 82f here i actually cant wait for winter and the -40 this sh#* is way too hot i dont know how you warm weather dudes cope with this crap.
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0

I use my Kitchen Aid all the time. Made pasta dough and used the pasta sheeter attachment to make ravioli tonight in fact. Other days it grinds meat for burgers etc. It's always out on my counter, ready to go. Makes great pizza dough too. Can't go wrong with a KA or it's various attachments!

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Haastyle
On the road to being a farker

The kitchen aid is the best dang piece of equipment in my kitchen short of my stove. It sure isn't cheap to purchase but I will never go without one again.

The grinder attachment works OK. It is great for peices of meat that do not have much connective tissue. Like chicken or well trimmed red meat, veggies for whatever (soups, risotto, meatballs, etc). But if you are looking to grind up boned out pork butts to make sausage.... you are better off with hand crank than this. Which I use and change plates to a smaller one and run it through again. For a 8lb batch it is faster, really. Large batches of venison get the big dog meat grinder.

The pasta roller attachment is outstanding. Makes the process of homemade pasta so fast and easy, you'll be filling sweet potato and ricotta ravioli in no time flat. Browned sage butter as your sauce to go with that, fyi. Try it.

The pasta extruder is total crap, don't waste your money on it. It is a hook up for the grinder attachment. I have tried just about every style of pasta dough I can come up with and NOTHING works well in it. They do make several sheet cutters to get spagetti or fetuccini. Now those are also OUTSTANDING. Looks just like the pasta roller but it has different cutting rollers obviously

As far as a dough mixer it is also great, all pending on your dough recipe. If you use a tough stiff dough I would do it by hand. I like a chewy stretching dough so the mixer hook works perfect for that looser dough. Almost a Strudel dough, just with some yeast.

I highly recommend it if you do a lot of cooking at home. I never needed it for mixing rubs but it would work equally as well. I know that neither the whisk or paddle attachment works very well for making brown sugar. It is just easier to do that by hand. (white sugar and molasses).

Hope this helps.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #19
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

I worked at Joe Boccardi's for years and mixed 50 pounds of flour into pizza crust five times a week. It's not needed for dough, but I'd love a KA just for the meat grinder.
jlane is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
AussieTitch
Babbling Farker

We have a Kenwood Chef/sim to the kitchen aid it appears, but use our bread maker for most dough's

Cheers.Titch
AussieTitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
drjiveturkey
Knows what a fatty is.

It doesn't make better dough...it just makes the job easier. Plus there are several attachments you can get to make it more versitle. I got an attachment package off of CL for $25. Not sure how much it cost retail but it included a meat grinder, sausage stuffer and a grater.

I use it to make sausage, kneed dough, and make cookie and cake batters.
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Shadowdog500
Full Fledged Farker

I still knead dough by hand, but a kitchen Aid stand mixer I worth every penny for a multitude of things in the Kitchen. We bought ours 10 to 15 years ago and it was a big deal in our house when we got it because of the price.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote