The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question How exactly does a Backwoods/Humphrey's style smoker work?

I've always been a little confused about this so please let me know if I have it right.

1. Heat and smoke travel up through the wall of the cooker and enter the cook chamber through an opening/vent in the top.

2. Heat and smoke travel down and exit through a vent at the bottom of the cook chamber below the bottom grate.

3. Smoke travels back up where it finally exits out the exhaust.

Does that sound about right? Also, could someone please explain how the heat diverter works in these things? I thought the water pan was the heat diverter? I've seen several pics of the insides of these cookers, but can't spot what the heat diverter looks like. Anyway, any input on these cabinet style cookers would really be appreciated folks.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Yep. that's it.

The water pan does act as a heat diverter, but adding the separate heat diverter blocks some of the heat from the water pan so the water lasts longer.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
coondogbbq
On the road to being a farker

Also, while the smoke is filling the cooking chamber and going out the bottom, the water vapors are traveling upwards. the steam fills the cooking chamber until it also comes out the smokestack in the bottom.
coondogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
grantw
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 3

i just got a backwoods party, they work well. there are holes in the back center for the exaust pipe and the smoke just comes out of the top walls. i did get mine with the diverter as well the water pan will last fairly long as the water does not boil as much as it would without it. the backwoods is real easy to work with, you can slide the coal pan right out, dump the ashes and reload with new coal without disturbing the cook chamber
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

here is a pic from a fatboy I just picked up and have disassembled for clean up and paint. you can see where the heat comes in at the top and the exhaust holes at the bottom. in the other pic you can see 2 brackets that I believe the heat diverter would sit on to shield the water pan from direct heat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.6 KB, 333 views)

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

other pic showing where heat comes in at the top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.1 KB, 326 views)

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Pm'ed you my number I can get you up to speed on them.
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Royalslover
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=164513 check out this link. My cousin built a fat boy clone and has a nice diagram of how it works.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the info everyone. Eventually when I buy a new smoker I always knew it would either be a gravity fed or Backwoods style unit. Now I'm pretty much leaning towards a Humphrey. A gravity fed unit would be slightly easier to use, but I've heard these reverse flow cabinet smokers put smoke flavor into the meat that's second to none. Anyway, thanks again for the input everyone.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Eventually when I buy a new smoker I always knew it would either be a gravity fed or Backwoods style unit. Now I'm pretty much leaning towards a Humphrey. A gravity fed unit would be slightly easier to use, but I've heard these reverse flow cabinet smokers put smoke flavor into the meat that's second to none. Anyway, thanks again for the input everyone.
I too was considering the Backwoods Competitor, but opted for the Humphrey's Down east Beast... It has the same flow principal as the backwoods pictured in the post.

Here is why I selected a Humphrey's beside being a lesser cost.