THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Howdy...

About 5 weeks ago i sealed a nice cut of domestic beef in a drybag and let it sit in the fridge.

You can see it here :

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161750

file.php

Heres the beef after 32 days in the drybag. The bag still held tight and i had to peel it off. the outside of the meat was like leather with a pleasant smell. no mold at all. So, everything looked fine.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Then i trimmed the meat. I think the loss from drying and trimming was about 40 %. The meat looked fabulous :razz:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Just some EVOO and sea salt and 30 minutes later it hit the grill

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Bottomn line :
s_joy.gif
x1.gif
laola.gif

This turned out awesome, definetly the best local beef i ever had. ( usually the beef here sucks bigtime cause its mostly dairy cattle and aged only for a week)
Very tender and a nice beefy flavour. Cant wait to try the next piece.

So long,

DM

That looks and sounds awesome What is a dry bag

Dry Bags are vaccum bags with a membrane that lets moisture out. It works only one way so you dont get any contamination or smell onto the meat.
That way you can dry age your own beef at home with much less risk of ruining the meat. all you need is a fridge that holds a good constant temperature, preferably not the one in the kitchen
that gets opened 30 times a day.

DM

I have a foodsaver verticle 3800 series Any reason why that would not work with this

The bags dont have the same inside lines that allow the air to be sucked out while sealing. Inserting a small strip of a regular vacuum bag at the seal and then sealing twice helps to get more air out easyer.
I also heard of people having success by sucking out the air with a straw and then twisting the end end closing it with cable ties. I think good constant temperature is more important than the vacuum.

DM

I have a prime strip loin from Costco in the fridge in a dry bag right now.

The seal is definitely pretty important, but I don't think it needs to be perfect. It is difficult to get it to work with a regular channel food saver, but as mentioned, if you make a snorkel with the textured foodsaver bags it works fairly well.

I think the key is to have the vast majority of the meat in direct contact with the bag's surface. A little bit of air isn't going to make a huge deal imo, but I have definitely gotten better over time with making it work with my regular food saver.

There are some good videos on the company's site as well as youtube for making these work with a regular food saver.

Back