MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

Default Seasoning my Brethren inspired offset

Today's the day! I finished my build last Thursday, but did not have the time to season it because I was away for the weekend.
Washed it all down last night and oiled it up this morning, then fired it up. Started with some Kingsford Competition charcoal and then some maple splits. All is going very well so far.
I stopped at BJ's last night and picked up two racks of babybacks for my first cook.
Anyone know how long I should let it season before throwing on the ribs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 23.jpg (27.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 24.jpg (35.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 25.jpg (33.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 27.jpg (33.0 KB, 197 views)

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Looking really good. If you can get it up to +400* to make sure you are well above the smoke point of the oil (no real science, that's just what I do) for an hour or so that would be good and check to make sure all the moisture/puddled oil is pretty much gone. Use the time to experiment with inlet settings and how to control the size & heat of the fire. Should be pretty easy to get the temps down when you want to cook. Can't wait ti see the firstribs. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
CtTradArcher

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the help. I will go crank it up...

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

We are going to light ours for the 1st time this weekend too. I'm glad I read this post. Didn't think about the oil that has pooled in the bottom. I'm going to clean that up first. We will probably just smoke some fatty's.
Thanks for posting.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
CtTradArcher

Cranked it up to 400 degrees. Using my food probe at one end of the smoker and bbq probe on the other. Temp difference end-to-end is under 10 degrees. I guess that's the advantage of reverse flow! Spring steel vent control looks like it's going to work out very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 28.jpg (16.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 30.jpg (20.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 29.jpg (26.4 KB, 173 views)

Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

spray it with canola pam and run it to 400 for 2 hrs. let it cool, rub it good with a onion all over the inside 400 once more and your good to go. from that point just use a wire brush. the seasoning and patina will keep the food tasting great
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
spray it with canola pam and run it to 400 for 2 hrs. let it cool, rub it good with a onion all over the inside 400 once more and your good to go. from that point just use a wire brush. the seasoning and patina will keep the food tasting great
What's the onion taste like?
Seriously, CtTradArcher, you might want to pull those probes out while you are running hot, some of them get damaged at around 500*

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
CtTradArcher

Just read the owner's manual. Supposed to be good up to 570 degrees, but I will pull them regardless. Thanks for the heads up!
JMoney, Thanks for your input!
Pappy, Your build was one of the ones that got me going on this project! I hope you are planning on posting pics of your seasoning and first cook.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
CtTradArcher

Ribs are on! Hope they come out good. Sure was a decent amount of work to get to this point...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 34.jpg (52.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 33.jpg (65.8 KB, 136 views)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

looks like the start of another build on the trailer hooked to the dodge! lol

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
CtTradArcher

Sure is! Much bigger than the one I just completed. I wanted to get one build under my belt before cutting into the compressor tank. It was harder to come by than the propane tank and woodstove I used for this build.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

thats good... i used a propane tank in my build.. make sure you post plenty of pics along the way!! and offsets are just better in my book.. lol

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
CtTradArcher

Looking good! I am thinking another 30 minutes, then foil and into the cooler!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 35.jpg (71.1 KB, 88 views)

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
dwfisk

Looking good! The heat looks like it is hitting the ribs very evenly, if anything it looks a tad warmer on the left (end opposite the firebox where the RF baffle ends); that's how mine works, about 5*-10* warmer on the end opposite the firebox. Bet your variation is even less because your cook chamber is more compact. Those ribs are going to be great!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
CtTradArcher

Ribs were a success! My daughter and I wiped out a whole rack.

Thanks again to all those that gave me advice and encouragement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 36.jpg (47.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 37.jpg (48.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 38.jpg (40.2 KB, 60 views)

1 members found this post helpful.