The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
aawa
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Plowboy's yardbird is more salty than it is sweet.

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs. I did a rack of full spares last night (no foil or sauce) and they loved it. It has a very natural sweetness that isn't overly sweet.

If you like your ribs sweeter you can do a foil step, where you put in butter, brown sugar, honey/agave nectar. Add in hotsauce if you want to give it a sweet heat, add more rub in to give it a little bit more salt/base flavor. Be careful with how much brown sugar/honey/agave nectar you use, the ribs might turn out with a very candied meat flavor where you lose the taste of pork.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
jasonjax
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs.......

+1 on the SMSS... that's one of my goto rubs for ribs as well. I really like it as a base sweet rub.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Nut
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I suggest you just use your normal rub and then cover the top of it with brown sugar. Leave it to sit for a few minutes and the sugar will melt and coat the ribs.
^^^^^^^ That's what I use on many occasions too (since I don't foil), works like a charm!

Unread 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
gotribe28

Thank you everyone for the advice....

I really appreciate it and that video is awesome...

Karl

Unread 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

I take honey and put it in the microwave for a few sec's and that makes it thin enough to baste the ribs .. then put the rub and the brown sugar on
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Make your own.

4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup mustard powder
1/4 cup granulated garlic

I use this on the ribs at the restaurant. They have a slight sweet taste with a nice spicy end.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs. I did a rack of full spares last night (no foil or sauce) and they loved it. It has a very natural sweetness that isn't overly sweet.

If you like your ribs sweeter you can do a foil step, where you put in butter, brown sugar, honey/agave nectar. Add in hotsauce if you want to give it a sweet heat, add more rub in to give it a little bit more salt/base flavor. Be careful with how much brown sugar/honey/agave nectar you use, the ribs might turn out with a very candied meat flavor where you lose the taste of pork.
I agree with Plowboys being saltier than sweet. I also agree on Sweet Seduction, never tried Cherry (yet).

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Tsevg9

I just picked up a bottle of Bandanas "Rib Rub" and it tastes pretty dang sweet.

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
Jhutch
Knows what a fatty is.

another option to try, is take whatever rub you like and mix turbinado sugar in the raw in your rub. it gives you that sweetness and the sugar in the raw does not burn like brown sugar.
Jhutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

2nd for making your own, or using whatever rub you like, and add either brown or turbinado sugar; or honey.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Are you sure they were just dry rubbed? A lot of the sweetness I see comes from the honey, brown sugar and juice they are soaked in during the foiling. They don't look like they've been mopped with sauce, but they have a particular candied glaze to them when done that way.

That said... like was previously said, I'd just take something you already like and mix it 50/50 with brown sugar and rub that on to start with.
It's been a long time since I've been to a BBQ restaurant (leave me alone - I live in Southern California), but I'd be shocked if many 'q joints actually foil their ribs.

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Toast
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction works very well.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen
The Fun Never Stops at the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
2013 Throwdown Grand Master. 1/2 of Team Paradise.

Toast is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance0623 View Post
It's been a long time since I've been to a BBQ restaurant (leave me alone - I live in Southern California), but I'd be shocked if many 'q joints actually foil their ribs.
And many backyard chefs do. And many competitors who win regularly do. And many restaurants probably do. The op asked about making sweet ribs, not the merits of foiling.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

I think you misunderstood my point there NT, I'm not arguing for or against foiling - even though I foil mine.

OP was at a restaurant that had sweet ribs, and because of the time and effort involved with foiling I'd be surprised if the restaurant foiled theirs. I think it's much more likely the sweet flavor came from sugar in the rub; or sprinkled sugar/slathered some honey over them towards the end of the cook.

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #30
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance0623 View Post
I think you misunderstood my point there NT, I'm not arguing for or against foiling - even though I foil mine.

OP was at a restaurant that had sweet ribs, and because of the time and effort involved with foiling I'd be surprised if the restaurant foiled theirs. I think it's much more likely the sweet flavor came from sugar in the rub; or sprinkled sugar/slathered some honey over them towards the end of the cook.
Ahhhh. You are correct. I did misread that. Good point. I'd vote that they would have been coated in honey and brown sugar bone down just on top of the meat and then maybe mopped after it melted a bit. I've just never gotten what I would call a real real sweet off of just a rub.

Thanks for the correction.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote