The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
DerHusker
is One Chatty Farker
 
DerHusker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-12
Location: Escondido, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Tri-Tip Question?

I’ve cooked quite a number of Tri-Tips but I’ve always purchased trimmed Tri-Tips before. Local market has USDA Choice trimmed Tri-Tips on sale for $3.99 and untrimmed Tri-Tips for $2.99 a pound. (Sorry to rub any salt into any non-California Tri-Tip lovers wounds) My question, is the $2.99 for untrimmed worth the effort or should I just pay the extra for trimmed. (Life is so hard with all these difficult decisions )
__________________
Primo Oval XL, Vision Kamado, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & WGA
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
TheGasman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
TheGasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-08-11
Location: West Hills, CA.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Its a pretty big fat cap on an untrimmed piece. That fat could weigh close to a pound, so you might not be saving too much. Just my opinion of course.
__________________
Large BGE
Stoker
WiFi System
TheGasman is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
spyre
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 06-01-13
Location: San Diego, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I always do untrimmed and smoke it slow and then trim the fat after cooking. Always comes out awesome that way for me. Leaving it untrimmed lets you go slow with it without having to worry about it drying out.

I also brine it for a short amount of time in this which makes it real nice: http://www.sweetwaterspice.com/produ...i-tip-rib-bath
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker
 
El Ropo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-10
Location: Austin, TX
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

I used to always leave the fat cap on tri tips and figured it would help retain some moisture since almost all of the tts I was buying were select grade, and fairly lean. The last one I cooked was a fairly lean piece of meat as well, but I completely removed all the fat cap and the silverskin. I reverse seared it using a few pecan chunks and "ridge" charcoal briqs on my Weber OTS. Took it to 132 during the sear and cut it correctly. It was out of the park good with plenty of moisture and wonderful flavor.

Depending on how much fat was left on the untrimmed roasts, I'd make the decision on which one is the better deal. If the untrimmed ones looked better (more marbling, etc), I'd go that route and trim it myself. If the trimmed ones looks better, then I'd go that route. Sometimes a piece of meat just calls my name, and I'll reach for it. But I really liked the way the fully trimmed one turned out using reverse sear and keeping it med rare all the way through.

And cutting these things correctly makes a huge difference in tenderness. The youtube video showing how to cut the roast at the "seam" then cutting both pieces across the grain, and on the bias is the way to do it. You'll see many videos of people cutting tri tips in various ways, and I'm convinced the "seam" method is superior.
__________________
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. SJS Mini-WSM. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
DerHusker
is One Chatty Farker
 
DerHusker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-12
Location: Escondido, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGasman View Post
Its a pretty big fat cap on an untrimmed piece. That fat could weigh close to a pound, so you might not be saving too much. Just my opinion of course.
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm concerned about plus the extra effort of having to trim.
__________________
Primo Oval XL, Vision Kamado, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & WGA
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
DerHusker
is One Chatty Farker
 
DerHusker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-12
Location: Escondido, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I used to always leave the fat cap on tri tips and figured it would help retain some moisture since almost all of the tts I was buying were select grade, and fairly lean. The last one I cooked was a fairly lean piece of meat as well, but I completely removed all the fat cap and the silverskin. I reverse seared it using a few pecan chunks and "ridge" charcoal briqs on my Weber OTS. Took it to 132 during the sear and cut it correctly. It was out of the park good with plenty of moisture and wonderful flavor.

Depending on how much fat was left on the untrimmed roasts, I'd make the decision on which one is the better deal. If the untrimmed ones looked better (more marbling, etc), I'd go that route and trim it myself. If the trimmed ones looks better, then I'd go that route. Sometimes a piece of meat just calls my name, and I'll reach for it. But I really liked the way the fully trimmed one turned out using reverse sear and keeping it med rare all the way through.

And cutting these things correctly makes a huge difference in tenderness. The youtube video showing how to cut the roast at the "seam" then cutting both pieces across the grain, and on the bias is the way to do it. You'll see many videos of people cutting tri tips in various ways, and I'm convinced the "seam" method is superior.
Thanks El Ropo. I love Tri-Tip and I've never cooked it any other way but reverse sear but I did cut it wrong the first 2 times. Then, in response to one of my Tri-Tip posts, someone posted the video your referring to (link below for others benefit) and it did make a big difference. Also one of the problems with the untrimmed ones is that they package them with the fat side up most of the time so you can’t see the actual roast. I have no idea who came up with this genius marketing idea!


__________________
Primo Oval XL, Vision Kamado, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & WGA

Last edited by DerHusker; 06-18-2013 at 08:53 AM..
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker
 
SmokinJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-12
Location: Anaheim, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Depends on how lazy I am. I don't like paying meat prices for fat, but sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.
__________________
Dbl Bbl Smoker, UDS, ECB, Char-Broil gas grill & charcoal grills, SJ - Certified Moink Baller
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

 
Join Date: 04-16-12
Location: Springfield, OR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I always wonder about this when buying my tri-tips from Cash$Carry. Last cryovac weighed in at 16.2lbs for 5 of them and after trimming and packaging I was left with 13lb 9oz of roasts. I take most of fatcap off. That's about 83%.

Of course, you're results may vary.
__________________
Pete-my first UDS,a brick pizza WFO, a leaky Chargriller offest, wifes Weber Genesis gasser,a Lightening Fast RED Thermapen, new baby Traeger
plakers is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
DerHusker
is One Chatty Farker
 
DerHusker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-12
Location: Escondido, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
I always wonder about this when buying my tri-tips from Cash$Carry. Last cryovac weighed in at 16.2lbs for 5 of them and after trimming and packaging I was left with 13lb 9oz of roasts. I take most of fatcap off. That's about 83%.

Of course, you're results may vary.
Thanks. That's very helpful. How difficult was trimming the fat cap?
__________________
Primo Oval XL, Vision Kamado, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & WGA
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts