The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yeah, my wife does not spend nothing she does not have to. Makes it so much harder for me to spend when I do not have to. She is reasonably cool with it, but I would feel like a shmuck. That being said... make the pit a little prettier and I bet she will learn to love it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
Fishhook
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
make the pit a little prettier and I bet she will learn to love it.

If she initially gave you the green light... I would think this answer above would go along way towards appeasing her.....

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Just curious, with all the equipment you have, why would you even need or want a block pit? I could see if you were building a large one to do a whole pig but it doesn't look to be very big.

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Swine Spectator
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
Just curious, with all the equipment you have, why would you even need or want a block pit?
Honey, get off the computer. This is my website.

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

To maybe help with your "said yes but now doesn't remember" issue I kinda went through the same thing before. We built a block pit to cook a whole hog once. I remember asking her and I remember her saying "okay" but once it was built she did not expect what was built - she was thinking something different. Even though most men would like a block pit I understood her concern about the pit in contrast to the landscaping of our yard. The thing is when you are not cooking on it - it is not a pit - it is a greasy stack of blocks.

The good thing about a block pit is you can take it down and put it back up as you need it.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Luckily my spousal unit just shrugs and says something to the effect that having a hobby that keeps me in the backyard where she can keep an eye on me (and provides reasonably tasty eats as well) can't be all bad. When she gets testy, I trot out the old "How much did you spend on all those damn shoes in the closet?" argument and a truce ensues.

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife bought me an Akorn for my birthday a couple years ago.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
peterz
Knows what a fatty is.

If I may- I think for her its all about how the block pit looks where it is. Im sure
if it was somewhere next to the house where nobody can see it, she would
not care at all.
Just my 2c.

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
woodbutcher1
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Well now it is pretty easy to get bold with the words when you don't have a marriage, kids, happiness, etc. I am not willing to sacrifice my 29 years of marriage just to be macho.................... little nuts.
Marty, i don't care to start an argument with any one. i would rather not even mention anything on the web about ( wife/ girl friend) won't let me do/buy... what ever....I just see who wears the PANTS in the relation ship.

Congratulations on your 29 years of marriage. ADD another 20 years to what you have,then you will be where i'm at. We raised a couple of son's and are were happy together. No need to kiss --- to buy any thing that either one of us wants . nuff said.
18.5" Weber------OTS
14" Weber---- Smokey Joe
55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Marty, i don't care to start an argument with any one. i would rather not even mention anything on the web about ( wife/ girl friend) won't let me do/buy... what ever....I just see who wears the PANTS in the relation ship.

Congratulations on your 29 years of marriage. ADD another 20 years to what you have,then you will be where i'm at. We raised a couple of son's and are were happy together. No need to kiss --- to buy any thing that either one of us wants . nuff said.
Marriage is best when nobody is wearing any pants at all.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
deguerre

Wait. She BOUGHT a HOTEL?!?
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
midwest_kc
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Wait. She BOUGHT a HOTEL?!?
How did this take so long to come up? The whole time I'm reading this thread, all I can think about is how someone who just bought a hotel (and I'm assuming it wasn't while playing Monopoly) would have a problem with spending almost nothing on a pit.

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
deguerre

Because the pit doesn't come with housekeeping service?
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Well now it is pretty easy to get bold with the words when you don't have a marriage, kids, happiness, etc. I am not willing to sacrifice my 29 years of marriage just to be macho. I have a lot of BBQ's which are the result of careful planning, conniving and outright manipulation.
But I have a happy relationship despite my wife thinking I'm a little nuts.
I'm with Marty on this issue.

I'll also comment on the popularity of the various Weber colors... They look very cool, but they cook the same as the black ones. I have found if you have a bunch of black kettles, you can sneak a new one in w/out being noticed. I managed a 22" WSM without comment.

Unread 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Cough up some shopping money for her and tell her(I would suggest $300.00)......
You need:

3 butts
4 racks of ribs
2 packs of brats
2 dozen clams
buns and some corn.

Here's my trick with motorcycles, if you want a new one, just buy it and make it look a little like an older one. Chicks can't tell the difference! If you have like 5-6 bikes, she'll never notice one or two more...keep them all bunched together. It's tough in the beginning, but you're free and clear after you collected a few.

Just to prove it works, my old lady as me a couple months ago about a bike I sold 3 years ago.

Bunch all your cookers into one section of the yard.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote