MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
tubby384
On the road to being a farker

Default gator pit reputation

Hello fellow smokers. I consider myself a newbie to this forum, but been smoking things for the last 20 years. I know there are many reputable pit builders out there, but I decided on purchasing a pit made by Gator pit. I've emailed twice and called the shop and both times the receptionist took down my name and number and said her boss will call back. Needless to say no return call from them. Is that the normal way that company does business? I do understand my backyard pit I was going to order is small potatoes to them, but at least have the consideration of either email or call me to say so. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and this is the best forum yet.
tubby384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ritch is good people he aint being rude he's just extremely busy and he will call you and give you top notch service he values his customers. Just be patient it's worth the wait. His pits are works of art and cook like a dream.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Tubby, what model are you looking to buy? They have awesome cookers.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
16Adams

Want some love and respect from a company?
Try a Pit Barrel Cooker. Owners cell phone is inscribed on the name plate. He answers and he returns emails and calls. And save yourself a wheelbarrow full of Benjamin's.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
gtr

I've heard nothing but good - actually great - things about Gator pits - I'm guessing they're super busy. I hear ya though - that kinda thing can be frustrating.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I think if he wanted to a barrel might as well build a UDS, it sounds like he wants a stick burner and gator makes a good one. but if you are having second thoughts about Gator check out Peroria smokers nice units.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
tubby384

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Tubby, what model are you looking to buy? They have awesome cookers.
I was looking at their 24x48 pipe smoker and yes they make high quality pits, but they are also more expensive than other builders. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".
tubby384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Gator has a good reputation for quality from what I've read and heard. Be patient. If you think the torture is bad now, wait until you have ordered and are waiting for it to arrive. If you think life is moving too fast for you, order a pit. The wait time no matter how accurate the estimate, will be almost unbearable. Also, if you're wavering between going to a slightly larger size in any direction, do it.

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-smoker View Post
Gator has a good reputation for quality from what I've read and heard. Be patient. If you think the torture is bad now, wait until you have ordered and are waiting for it to arrive. If you think life is moving too fast for you, order a pit. The wait time no matter how accurate the estimate, will be almost unbearable. Also, if you're wavering between going to a slightly larger size in any direction, do it.
Good things are worth waiting for..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Peter B

I just received a custom offset from Pits By JJ. It is extremely well built and cooks great. I have never seen a Gator Pit in person but they were one of the pits I researched before buying. Gator Pits have a great reputation so I have no doubt that they are worth the wait.

However, I can tell you that Pits By JJ built a fantastic offset that I will be able to pass down to my children's children and they answered all my phone calls and answered my emails within one day. The Build quality far surpassed my expectations and they are a bit less expensive than the bigger names out there like Gator Pits and Klose.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
16Adams

Fishin4bass I never said he "wanted" a barrel. I did say if he "wanted" some love and respect to try The Pit Barrel Cooker company.

They will answer his calls and respond to his emails. People that own and use them understand.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Big Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Gators are great and Ritch is a stand up guy. I also went with Pits By JJ and been very happy. I love my Pits By JJ and would recommend them to anyone looking.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE[/url]
Patio Smoker
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7lqPKVzTI[/url]
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
hcj3rd

I think Rich builds a really nice pit but I think he is way overpriced for the market.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Ritch and Dave Klose were both very responsive to my emails and phone calls. I got more interested in them when I gave up on Lang returning communication. My point being I think all of them are great business guys and all are over run at times. I ended up with a mint Jambo and yes Jamie even was helpful on the phone even though I was buying a used Jambo from an individual.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby384 View Post
Hello fellow smokers. I consider myself a newbie to this forum, but been smoking things for the last 20 years. I know there are many reputable pit builders out there, but I decided on purchasing a pit made by Gator pit. I've emailed twice and called the shop and both times the receptionist took down my name and number and said her boss will call back. Needless to say no return call from them. Is that the normal way that company does business? I do understand my backyard pit I was going to order is small potatoes to them, but at least have the consideration of either email or call me to say so. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and this is the best forum yet.
If you haven't already, look into LoneStarGrillz.com. Chris Goodlander is the owner/operator and he or his wife answers the phone personally. Chris came from Gator and he builds a very comparable pit in materials and quality but is also less expensive. Check em' out!