• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Injuries...what's yours?

Just got done using a chimney starter to light my WSM. Didn't place it back on the metal table all the way and it fell off. Right onto my flip-flop "covered" big toe: EDGE FIRST. Split my toe nail instantly and I thought the toe was broken, but it wasn't.
There is still a dent in the chimney starter to remind me of the event and why I never wear sandals while cookin Q. :redface:

Using an angle grinder to build my double barrel smoker, I set my shirt on fire (something about sparks and flammable cotton, IIRC from my Boy Scout years). I thought I put it out, but I didn't. My neighbor, who was standing next to me, put it out.

All this with Mrs. SJ sunning herself 20 feet away, oblivious to the fact that her husband was auditioning for the part of a Buddhist Monk.

Using an angle grinder to build my double barrel smoker, I set my shirt on fire (something about sparks and flammable cotton, IIRC from my Boy Scout years). I thought I put it out, but I didn't. My neighbor, who was standing next to me, put it out.

All this with Mrs. SJ sunning herself 20 feet away, oblivious to the fact that her husband was auditioning for the part of a Buddhist Monk.

At least Redhot put the fire on my head out for me...

Angle grinder sent tiny pieces of metal into my leg. Not too bad

Decided to light my coals like a mad man and test out my new weed burner, had a few embers burn through my shirt

And of course the arm hair burn that comes with the territory

my buddy and I were building our rf bbq and working on the doors. he was holding it up from the back and had one hand at the top in the small gap. well we did not have the door propped up. well it fell pinching his middle ring and pinky between the door and the smoker. the skin was on his finger were pealed back almost to the bone. he yelled, I had to run around to the front side of the smoker to lift the door up. he should have went to the er but "It was no big deal" he said.

2 months later him and I were making a fast trip to lowe's well we were stopped at the waiting on the light to change some lady did not stop and hit me from behind going about 45-50mph/

Pulled a wrapped pork butt off the smoker and had the foil split on the bottom. It dropped a 1/2 cup of boiling juice on my flip-flop clad feet. Nice second degree burns. Made it hard to wear real shoes for about a week.

Then there was the time I was splitting some hickory with a hatchet to make properly sized chunks for my WSM.
I hit my left hand as the hatchet made contact with the hickory. 11 stitches to the outside of my left index finger (hatchet made it over 1/3 of the way through my finger). Still have some nerve damage, but it doesn't affect my ability to cook.

When I was a kid, my father missed the plate and dropped a flaming steak onto my forearm. Luckilly, there was a garbage pail filled with water and beers. I cut the end of my finger off with a V slicer. And, I regularly burn myself while cooking. Oh, and I learned pretty quickly when I started using charcoal again that lump doesn't always look like it is burning.

Be careful when cutting butter...

OUCH-1_zpsb3f171af.jpg

"I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon- sue me- and since I don''t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It''s good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That''s it. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that"

"I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon- sue me- and since I don''t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It''s good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That''s it. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that"

You must be kin to Michael Scott, from Dunder Mifflin, in Scranton.

Pulled a wrapped pork butt off the smoker and had the foil split on the bottom. It dropped a 1/2 cup of boiling juice on my flip-flop clad feet. Nice second degree burns. Made it hard to wear real shoes for about a week.

Been there and done that. Hurts like hell!!!!

I'm normally pretty cautious when I have a knife or near the fires. I've caught my arm on the lip of the firebox MANY of times, but other than that, I try to be a little more cautious where I can lose limbs.

2 weeks ago I was splitting some hickory for my Lang. Ax got caught on a knot. I pulled out my 8# sledge to drive the ax through. Hammer slipped off of the back edge of the ax & my finger got smashed between the back of the ax & the sledge handle.

Hurt like a bear, but the Q must go on!

After hitting my Boner with the Steel a few times I was cutting open the Cyro on a packer in the sink and took off the tip or my left index finger thank god for Super glue & duct tape:biggrin1: saved a trip to the ER and the cook went on.

On an early morning prepping meat I had a pretty dull knife. Decided to chop with it to get thru some cartilage and ended up hitting the back of my other hand where my index finger is. ER trip and some weeks of physical therapy and it works again. I still started/finished the cook that day just a little behind schedule :)

Cut my finger to the bone washing my knife with a scrub brush while talking to a fellow at a comp.
249356_2027904907283_6821870_n.jpg

Only other ER visit from BBQ was when I got a bristle from a grate brush stuck in the back of my throat...
Numerous burns but none that required anything more than liquid anesthesia...

After hitting my Boner with the Steel a few times I was cutting open the Cyro on a packer in the sink and took off the tip or my left index finger thank god for Super glue & duct tape:biggrin1: saved a trip to the ER and the cook went on.

WOW superdick:laugh:

Back