The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
Bob Wiley
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm in the minority here. Run it with water. Makes a great govoner on temps.
Full charcoal ring with scattered wood chunks. Dump a 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top. Start with lower vents 1/2 open. when it gets to 225 close down to 1/4 to 1/8 open. It will hold 225 all day. Charcoal is cheap. Make it easy on yourself.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
I was also considering picking up come high temp silicone and applying a thin bead around where the door seals as well as the lower ring to help seal up any air leaks. Any experience with this? Or don't bother?
I did that on the bottom edge of my 18.5 WSM.

It meant that I could close all of the vents and the coals would go out so I'm happy with that mod. I didn't bother with the door.

Of course I followed other recommendations as well like making sure that the middle section was as round as I could make it and fitting the door to minimize the gap. I also rotate the middle section on the base until the gap looks even all of the way around.

I don't feel like I'm fighting anything. I can easily dial in temps anywhere from about 200°F to 350°F.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
rpg421
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Has anyone used the snake or fuse method in the 22.5 charcoal set up?
rpg421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
frankH
Knows what a fatty is.

Without water in the pan, I could never get the temp to drop without poring water on part of the coals. With water in the pan, the temp will gradually drop with the vents shut.

Also, if you spray some vegetable oil around the seams, it speeds up the seasoning process.
frankH is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg421 View Post
Has anyone used the snake or fuse method in the 22.5 charcoal set up?
That's sort of what the Minion Method is. Lit coals are added to a localized are of unlit and the fire spreads through the rest of the fuel at a gradual rate.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I usually just dump about a half chimney of lit coals on top of the filled ring, but last time I thought I'd get cute, so I sat the chimney in the center of the ring and poured the KBB around it. Then I put about a half chimney in and lifted the starter out, leaving a nice round hole in the middle. Lit the coals in the chimney and carefully poured them into the donut hole. For some reason it didn't seem to work as well as the old method. Temps came up slower than usual and I ran out of fuel at about the 7 hour mark and had to refuel to finish the butts. I'm going back to the old way.

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

I did trout last night. It ran at 200, no problem. I used water in the pan and only 12 lit coals to start it, lump for the cook. In fact, I had to open the bottom vents just a little to maintain the 200. Water makes a tremendous difference.