The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
FiremanMike
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How much fits on OTG 22?

So I think I decided on the OTG 22, but I wanted to make sure it'll feed my family of 5, occasionally we have guests. My current grill is the chargriller side by side gas/charcoal, I don't really have any issue feeding them using just one side or the other, if that comparison helps....
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Bobby R
Found some matches.

Buy the 26 OTG @ 299.00 You will be much happier feeding that many people!
Bobby R is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
FiremanMike
Got Wood.

I'm not really interested in spending that much right now unless absolutely necessary. I've spent a decent chunk on my back yard already..

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

I have both a 26 and 22, while the 26 may not sound much larger, it is. It is also double the price. If you could swing it, I would get the 26, also if you do any indirect cooking you will have a lot more space on the 26. I think a 22 would be fine for most occasions though. The 22 has been feeding families for decades.

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Bobby R
Found some matches.

In that case I would try to find (2) 22's on craigslist. You can pick up silvers on there all the time for under 50.00 each and upgrade them to a gold with parts from amazon.
Bobby R is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

The 22in OTG fits quit a bit of food on it. I can comfortably fit enough food on it w/ direct cooking for 4-5 people. For indirect cooking you lose some space and it might be a tight squeeze if you are trying to fit veggies etc on at the same time the meat is on.

I typically cook on my OTG for myself and 2 roommates (both guys) and we have leftovers that I can bring for lunch the next day and eat for dinner the next day.

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

How much fits depends on how you are cooking. If you are doing direct heat for grilling you can get a lot of food on a 22.5. Probably 20 or so burgers, 8-10 steaks or chops (depending on size), a whole bunch of sausages.

If you do as I do and use two zones (half of the grate direct, half indirect) you can still fit 8-10 burgers, 4-6 steaks or chops and still a lot of sausage.

If you are going to roast whole chicken, turkey, pork roasts, beef roasts, etc. I set up two fires, one on each side and put the roast in the middle. I've done 16 lb turkeys this way.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
BeansBaxter
Knows what a fatty is.

I cook for 7-8 people regularly on my 22.5. With a chimney of charcoal I can easily grill 8-10 burgers and have room for some hot dogs.

When setting up for indirect cooking, I use firebricks and pile up about 1/3 of the kettle with charcoal and have room on the other side for two butts (~8-9 lbs each).

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
FiremanMike
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
How much fits depends on how you are cooking. If you are doing direct heat for grilling you can get a lot of food on a 22.5. Probably 20 or so burgers, 8-10 steaks or chops (depending on size), a whole bunch of sausages.

If you do as I do and use two zones (half of the grate direct, half indirect) you can still fit 8-10 burgers, 4-6 steaks or chops and still a lot of sausage.

If you are going to roast whole chicken, turkey, pork roasts, beef roasts, etc. I set up two fires, one on each side and put the roast in the middle. I've done 16 lb turkeys this way.
I should have mentioned I have a wife and all daughters, that sounds like plenty of space for me!

Thanks!

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
I should have mentioned I have a wife and all daughters
I'm sorry.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
FiremanMike
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm sorry.

Lol!

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Until recently we routinely cooked for a family of 5 (3 big eaters + me & my wife) on a 22 Performer. Never had any problem with cooking real estate for steak, chicken burgers or fish. I think you will be just fine with a 22 OTG and its a really great versatile cooker.

PS: I upgraded to the 26.75 OTG when my son moved out and took his Performer with him and really like cooking on it.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

FiremanMike- I also think the 22.5 is big enough. Search the Columbus CL for "weber". There's a Performer (w/ chimney and cover) for $100.

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
FiremanMike- I also think the 22.5 is big enough. Search the Columbus CL for "weber". There's a Performer (w/ chimney and cover) for $100.
This one?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/hsh/3860182521.html

It's a platinum, not a Performer, but still a good deal.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

Remembering a friend

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Rustys BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I am a believer in the pick the size you need then go one size bigger. You will thank yourself later. You get this then realize how much you love it. Then you'll get better and better at cooking, then everyone in your extended family will want to be over for dinner, then all your friends and neighbors, then you'll sit there and say............I should have bought the 26 (or ranch kettle ;) ).

Just from experience.

Also the added room will definitely help with indirect cooking. It gets a little tight in a 22' and you get a little too much direct heat on your bigger cuts. It can be done, just harder.
Humphrey's Battle Box(Custom team name)
Onyx oven
Primo XL Oval
WSM 18.5"
Weber one touch silver
Yellow Thermapen
Rustys BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote