The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
AussieTitch
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Leave the top vent open and position it over the food, that way the smoke and heat will travel over the food before it goes out the top and control the temps with the bottom vents. The more fuel you light the hotter your starting temps will be, i start about 8-10 briqs (or equivilent amount of lump) and catch my temps as it comes up, it is hard to bring it back down after it shoots up.

There are many good threads here and at the Weber Kettle Club site that explain how to smoke on a kettle, i have done a spatchcocked chicken using two half circles of charcoal (two rows (( )) and a third row on top of each) and lite the bottom of one row and the top of the other row, along with a aluminum foil pan with some water in it and chunks spaced out on each row, with top and bottom vents open will cook the chicken just right and no fuss and no muss

Oh btw the kettle in my avatar is cooking the chicken i spoke of!

Like this Ron ?
Its how I set up my Fuel.

Cheers.Titch
AussieTitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
Like this Ron ?
Its how I set up my Fuel.Yes that's how i do it too.

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
iiwelshii
Got rid of the matchlight.

I cooked a brisket on my 22 1/2 kettle yesterday. First time using the minion method, but great success. I didn't have the luck of a long burn, but held its temp perfectly. Once it reached the end I just added more charcoal reverse direction. Was pretty easy with the hinged grates. It was an 8 lb brisket I rubbed down the night before, and injected with beef broth. Used Stubbs rub, and moping sauce. Results....... BEST BRISKET I'VE EVER COOKED!! My family was shocked, and my 2 year old twin boys keep asking "meat, please."
iiwelshii is offline   Reply With Quote