Why don't you enter a throwdown? Just Sayin.

Some of you won't remember me.... I'm Kathy and I entered TDs religiously until about April this year or so. Thought I could make it back for May but no. It's a time thing. When I first started entering TDs last June I was just learning how to smoke and over a few months I made the most startling progress. I surprised myself. I took awful photos and they got better, and better, then I got a new camera..... surprised myself again! If you want to be a better cook or learn to use your camera -- that's a good enough reason to enter weekly or as often as you can. Never mind the theme, don't let special rules stand in your way, nobody else does. :shocked: If you enter to learn how to cook better or use your camera better (or both like me), the voting is just the frosting.... or lack thereof. I'm coming back in June, look out you Noobes! :twisted:

Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day. It's the chatty Kathy thing, isn't it? :doh:

Some of you won't remember me.... I'm Kathy and I entered TDs religiously until about April this year or so. Thought I could make it back for May but no. It's a time thing. When I first started entering TDs last June I was just learning how to smoke and over a few months I made the most startling progress. I surprised myself. I took awful photos and they got better, and better, then I got a new camera..... surprised myself again! If you want to be a better cook or learn to use your camera -- that's a good enough reason to enter weekly or as often as you can. Never mind the theme, don't let special rules stand in your way, nobody else does. :shocked: If you enter to learn how to cook better or use your camera better (or both like me), the voting is just the frosting.... or lack thereof. I'm coming back in June, look out you Noobes! :twisted:

Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day. It's the chatty Kathy thing, isn't it? :doh:
Your not alone Sister! It's an all day event for me between shopping, cooking, clean-up and photobucket, it's midnight or later when I am drunk enough to sleep, I am sorry I meant ready to sleep.

The voting in the TD's is an odd dynamic. The only way to win seems to be in the plating or photography. Not always, but obviously these two things make the quickest and most logical impact on an entry.

TD winners/hi vote-getters usually have amazing/stunning plated shots, My wife doesn't think there is much point in the TD's given the emphasis on presentation, but I somewhat disagree.

Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day.

I have been thinking about this lately. I have gone through a lot of old Throwdown Threads. I personally think there seems to be to much emphasis on the "money shots". It seems to me that the complexity or difficulty of the preparation doesn't influence voters as much as the picture. Like Kathy mentioned it can be an all day affair putting a TD entry together. I have only entered three and they were lots of fun. But my long term participation is doubtful given the facts I have laid out here.

I think I decided to take a breather from TD's when a Thai entry won the Indian one. :grin:

I need more photography oomph though. I can take reasonably good outside pics with my smartphone, but the lighting in my kitchen sucks and doesn't make my plated shots look any better. TD winners/hi vote-getters usually have amazing/stunning plated shots, so this may be the fuel for getting that DSLR I've wanted for a while.

That was an honest mistake on my part :oops:, and it was actually a three way tie for the win. :clap:

As far as the pics go, Bigabyte put up a great post on Photography Tips with much input from others. All I use is an inexpensive point and shoot Panasonic camera following much of the advice. I do have the same problem with indoor shots so when at all possible I take the money shots outside. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Please do not accept this as my unofficial entry. I stole the picture because I just want to win so badly!

I am off to cry in my soup now!

You know, that was kind of done in a Throw Down back in 2010 by ecode:

IMG_0133.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1454596&postcount=164

Back