The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

that looks good I'll take one to hit now and one to hit on the ride home.

Unread 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
I could make them myself (and have) - but for $6 you can't go wrong.
We have a large Vietnamese community in Nashville and have many fine Vietnamese restaurants. One of the best has a barbecued pork bahn mi for -- drum roll -- $2.75! and it's in pharkin credible.

On a lighter note I went to school in Bay Shore and went all through school with a girl named Donna L'hommedieu. Unusual name. Any relation?
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
I love Banh Mi. Here in Flushing, NY, where I reside part of the time, there is a local restaurant that serves Banh Mi with pickled carrot and daikon radish, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, mayonnaise on one side of the French baguette and liver pate on the the other side, Vietnamese pork roll, and Vietnamese ham.

One of the secrets of great Banh Mi is a good baguette. When toasted it should be crusty on the outside, and firm on the inside - but it shouldn't fall apart too easily.

I could make them myself (and have) - but for $6 you can't go wrong. It's a great summer meal as the jalapenos make you sweat. Great with salty plum soda, and, of course, beer....

Best,

Steve
$6 for a bahn mi sandwich? My favorite deli has them for $3 and if you buy 5 you get one free. They are also a bakery that bakes their own bread and they are open 24/7.

If they weren't 12 miles from my house I would eat there every day.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

the best place around here that has them sells them for between $2.75 and $4.25. the most expensive is the one i get. lemongrass pork and homemade sausage. i've tried unsuccessfully to duplicate the sausage or even get in the ballpark, but to no avail. and i can't get her to come off her spice list for it.

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #20
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

How can such a great sandwich be so cheap? Why look a gift horse in the mouth?
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
How can such a great sandwich be so cheap? Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

it's amazing. (i don't actually expect her to come off her sausage recipe and even if she did, i wouldn't stop eating at her place.)

even more amazing is, very very very few people down here even eat them. as big as poboys are here, these aren't even a blip on the radar.

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Looks great, good luck!
Jed

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
bluetang

Dang fine!

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
lhommedieu
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
We have a large Vietnamese community in Nashville and have many fine Vietnamese restaurants. One of the best has a barbecued pork bahn mi for -- drum roll -- $2.75! and it's in pharkin credible.

On a lighter note I went to school in Bay Shore and went all through school with a girl named Donna L'hommedieu. Unusual name. Any relation?
Probably a very distant relation. "Lhommedieu" is the old French version of my name. They were Huguenots that fled France for Germany due to religious persecution in the 16th and 17th centuries. Later the name became Germanized to "Lamade." A few branches of Lamades emigrated to the United States in the mid to late 19th century, but there are still branches of the original family near Baden-Baden.

Six dollars is just a guess for the price of a Banh Mi in Flushing; I'll just have to go back to confirm the price - it is a large sandwich, though...

Fortunately there are a lot of Asian markets in the area, and I suppose that I could make my own if I had the yen.