MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #46
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I went to one Tru Value at lunch by my work, a classic old time hardware store with stuff hanging from every nook and cranny.

They dont carry it.

I would have no idea where they would put it if they did LOL

So on the way home I went to the Tru Value by my house that has a large BBQ dept, they even carry Traegers.

I have seen it there before so I knew they would have it.

Sold out. The truck from the warehouse was being unloaded so he told me there was plenty of it on the truck, to come back in a few hours.

So at least I know this back will be the fresh, new stuff.

I will buy one bag, see what its like. If its good, I will stock up
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #47
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I forgot to add, the Cowboy from Ace was from Mexico. Is it all from Mexico or does the quality vary depending on where it's from.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #48
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
I forgot to add, the Cowboy from Ace was from Mexico. Is it all from Mexico or does the quality vary depending on where it's from.
Bob

the bag that I did get the other day from Tru Value was made in the US. I think this was an older bag from the looks of it. Its made with mill scraps.

I think the Mexico stuff is the new improved lump.

When I go buy the stuff that just came in, I am going to check to see where it was made before I buy it.
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #49
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
Bob

the bag that I did get the other day from Tru Value was made in the US. I think this was an older bag from the looks of it. Its made with mill scraps.

I think the Mexico stuff is the new improved lump.

When I go buy the stuff that just came in, I am going to check to see where it was made before I buy it.
Thanks. I think I'll open up a bag a bit later and see what it looks like. Between this and the 2 discount bags of Wicked Good, I've got charcoal chips and dust all over the place. I've been breathing too much charcoal dust.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #50
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
Thanks. I think I'll open up a bag a bit later and see what it looks like. Between this and the 2 discount bags of Wicked Good, I've got charcoal chips and dust all over the place. I've been breathing too much charcoal dust.
congrats

I now pronounce you a fellow Lump Slut!!!

welcome aboard!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #51
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I bought a bag when I saw the now longer lasting post not long ago and liked it. Just happend to stop at TV on the way home and grabbed another bag to cook dinner with. Definitely not the same beast. I will be "stalking" up for the year at this price. Less fireworks than RO. Good timing cause my Wal-fart does not carry RO this year.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #52
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

I got 4 bags at Lowes for $8.09 a bag with the price match and additional 10% discount. The lady at customer service couldnt believe it was so cheap. I never used the old cowboy based on what I had read here and elsewhere. I hope this new stuff is decent. I favor Royal Oak, but at tHat price, it was worth the risk. I will give it a go this week, and if I like it, I will go buy more.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #53
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

I've had pretty good luck with Cowboy but had a bag last time with two rocks. I still bought several bags at this price.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #54
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer. I did try to get a local Ace Hardware to match the True-Value price but they said no go. Ace has it on sale for $11.99. When I told him T-V had it for $8.99 he immediately went to his computer to look it up. He acted very surprised and said they pay about $10 per bag and he could not match.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #55
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemezspring View Post
I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer.

In a situation like this, I'd rather give a little extra coin to a local Mom and Pop franchisee, especially one that is extremely helpful/friendly every time I go in.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer. I did try to get a local Ace Hardware to match the True-Value price but they said no go. Ace has it on sale for $11.99. When I told him T-V had it for $8.99 he immediately went to his computer to look it up. He acted very surprised and said they pay about $10 per bag and he could not match.
I went to my closest True Value and was told they weren't a participation dealer, but if I had printed the ad, they would have done the price match. Since it is about 15 miles away, I wasn't going back again. I went to my nearest Lowes, and they didn't have any. My Home Depot only has the smaller bags. My in town Ace is about 3 miles away and did the price match. If I had a brain in my head I would have gone there first instead of wasting gas and time driving about 50 miles round trip to the other stores.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #57
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
the way I look at it, since TV had the sale, I would give them the opportunity of the sale first.

If they did not have the sale, none of us would be buying through the ad at that price from anyone

If they were out, then I would go to HD or Lowes. And I would rather give my biz to the locally owned store anyway

Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #58
wormraper
Full Fledged Farker

you can get El Diablo 40 lb bags from Costco or Sams club right now for $11.50... better quality than even the new cowboy and cheaper

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #59
rsj7855
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
you can get El Diablo 40 lb bags from Costco or Sams club right now for $11.50... better quality than even the new cowboy and cheaper
My Sams only appears to carry 'Best of the West' Lump.
rsj7855 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #60
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
In a situation like this, I'd rather give a little extra coin to a local Mom and Pop franchisee, especially one that is extremely helpful/friendly every time I go in.

This is also why I bought at Tru Valu instead of going to Lowes. Yes I could have saved 80 cents on the 6 bags I bought, but I would rather support a locally owned business
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote