MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearsHickoryPit View Post
I think it has something to do with the water in the muscle fibers freezing and expanding and rupturing the muscle fibers. That might make for a more tender brisket, just a guess!
I'm convinced this is true. My first hand experience left me suspecting this was the case, and when we signed up for a freezer service, they had a"brand" of steak they claimed was better that choice. While it was well marbled, it was still choice. The only difference was the freezing.

If you think about it, freezing will break up the fibers on a micro-level evenly without affecting flavor.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Hoggz View Post
Hey Bill, Is it the lexington contest?? if so, I'll be there too. Any questions feel free to come over and ask, I am happy to help and answer any questions you have!!
I'm with Sean... Maybe I'll need to make a special trip for some help with pork!

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

I cooked a brisket that was frozen in a contest last week and got a call. I freeze all contest meats.
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
didisea
Take a breath!

You could always use one frozen one and one "fresh" one, although the "fresh" one will not have that much age on it.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We buy our comp briskets by the case...wet age them...then freeze them. Very rarely do we ever cook a non-frozen brisket unless the comp date happens to fall on the same day they are finished aging. No problems cooking any pre-frozen meats here...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Some people freeze on purpose.

Yep!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
$billBBQ

I started this thread worried about using a frozen brisket and now I can't wait for 2 weeks to try and use the brisket. This will make life much easier just to have a case of wet aged brisket in the freezer ready to go.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
smokinb
Knows what a fatty is.

I've tried to find fresh brisket, tracked down an organic black angus cattle farmer and asked if I could get a fresh one. She said they flash freeze all their meat and it wasn't easy to get it fresh. They also said their organic beef briskets are much smaller than regular briskets. They said a whole organic brisket was in the 8 pound range. Their meat is about twice as much as local grocers per pound. They say its better tasting and healthier, but twice the rate? Needless to say I haven't sampled any of her meat. My question is, how do you find a brisket that was not frozen?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
$billBBQ

smokinb - If you can find a local butcher they will order a fresh case of full packers for you, The case normally comes with 5 full packers. we then wet age them and split up the case keeping 2 for competition and sell off the rest at cost to some buddies. Just ask for the pack date (most of the time on the case the brisket come in). This is why we had to freeze we found a new supplier and order them with a enough time to wet age before the comp, but this supplier wet ages all the meats before they sell them so we had to freeze them

Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinb View Post
I've tried to find fresh brisket, tracked down an organic black angus cattle farmer and asked if I could get a fresh one. She said they flash freeze all their meat and it wasn't easy to get it fresh. They also said their organic beef briskets are much smaller than regular briskets. They said a whole organic brisket was in the 8 pound range. Their meat is about twice as much as local grocers per pound. They say its better tasting and healthier, but twice the rate? Needless to say I haven't sampled any of her meat. My question is, how do you find a brisket that was not frozen?
For BBQ, avoid anything that is "good for you." Organic? Grass fed? Free range? Local farm? Sustainable? Pfft.

(I'm kidding, but only partly. Larger, well marbled cuts of beef and pork are what you want. Healthier generally means leaner. Great for the grill, not so good for slow fire cooking. If you want to pay double for a brisket, at least get a 17 pound grain fed Wagyu or something. Those lean locally raised free range chickens are great on your table, but they won't do as well in a comp as the mass market stuff at the supermarket. )
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
Pigs on The Run
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
How long do most people age there butts and chicken. I know on the beef the longer you let it wet age the tastier it is.
Good to see you posting on here. It can be a great help at your first BBQ contest!
Aging meet is kinda interesting. Aging chicken and pork is kinda not done. But wet aging brisket can be done but not over 6 weeks max . Normally look for quarter size bubbles .
Ope to you soon.
John
BBQ bands and brews.
Pigs on The Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

I thought I was just imagining tenderness in steaks that were frozen. Glad to here others have experienced the same results
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

The real question is: is any one consistantly winning with frozen, but not injected brisket?
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
For BBQ, avoid anything that is "good for you." Organic? Grass fed? Free range? Local farm? Sustainable? Pfft.

(I'm kidding, but only partly. Larger, well marbled cuts of beef and pork are what you want. Healthier generally means leaner. Great for the grill, not so good for slow fire cooking. If you want to pay double for a brisket, at least get a 17 pound grain fed Wagyu or something. Those lean locally raised free range chickens are great on your table, but they won't do as well in a comp as the mass market stuff at the supermarket. )
i would disagree with this blanket statement.

while not a "BBQ" here is an example of quality grass fed, local, and organic beef.

and here's a brisket of same elk. flat over point.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post

I dunno, Aaron Franklin uses all natural brisket, hormone/anti-biotic free etc.. and you know what they say about his brisket...

Also free range chicken are a little bit leaner and have thinner skin, which is good for cook-offs.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote