The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #31
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Work for the TOTAL sales angle.

Serve nothing but saltier wings and ABT's.

Salt and spice drive up beverage sales. Keep account of ALL sales during your serve time, then re-negotiate.

Breads do what beer does, and that fills people up. He wants sales? Salt and spice.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #32
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by themidniteryder View Post
I am not sure I would of went with the "he will order the meats and suppies for sides and I will pay him back". You lose quality control here. If he orders $1.50/lb brisket vs. $3.50/lb then the quality suffers, yet you are going to be blamed for putting out an inferior product. And it is your reputation on the line. Will he show you the actual invoice to back up the cost claim? By the same token, are you able to show a convincing breakdown of your cost and actual profit? That includes salt down to the last grain, charcoal/wood, your fuel getting to and from the bar, taxes and insurance you may be paying, your time doing the paperwork...lots of things to consider when figuring costs and "profit".
we had a long talk about meat quality before he even said to run some numbers see what I need perctenage wise to make it work for me. i told him That I do not serve low quality meats, I would rather pay a higher price for better meats then sell subpar ribs or brsket.

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #33
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
I do something similar for a local bar. We worked hard to cover all of our bases.

I keep all income from the BBQ. It is my baby. I am the top BBQ cook in town, (it's a small town. ) Honestly though, I've built a solid regional reputation that is followed by many of our local and regional BBQ fans. I wouldn't cook for less. HE gets to use my name in his advertising. Much like the bands he hires he gets to use me for a draw to his bar. We will fill the place up, and on a Saturday night that he would normally have a couple dozen pool players and bar sitters, he has a full crowd, buying drinks.
Exactly right. He gets increased liquor sales and you get the BBQ. Asking for your you to give 25% is a winner for him but a loser for you.

Unread 05-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #34
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I did a special event at a night club 2 weeks ago, I did not want any part of projected sales and had them order what they thought the sales would be, let thier kitchen serve it. They ordered brisket and pulled pork, so I set them up with 1/2 tins. If they sold out great, if crowd was small or sales were slow, they paid me for product ordered beforehand. I was there to help promote sales and answer questions from the patrons.
I rather make a little less, and guareentee what I cooked will not be back in the fridge as it cost lots when you have un-sold product.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #35
cynfulsmokersbbq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
I did a special event at a night club 2 weeks ago, I did not want any part of projected sales and had them order what they thought the sales would be, let thier kitchen serve it. They ordered brisket and pulled pork, so I set them up with 1/2 tins. If they sold out great, if crowd was small or sales were slow, they paid me for product ordered beforehand. I was there to help promote sales and answer questions from the patrons.
I rather make a little less, and guareentee what I cooked will not be back in the fridge as it cost lots when you have un-sold product.
What did you charge, if you don't mind us asking?
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #36
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Here is Medina/Barberton ohio.

Your full rack prices are about 2$ higher then most othe the places around here. And the ribs for 23$/rack are a life changing experience.

The rest of the prices are a little wacky because they are either kinda high (pulled pork normally 15$ for a hand full of pork, some cornbread and some fries) the brisket sandwich could go up 2$.

Bear in mind that Medina is kind of rural upscale. And Bullies is kind of upscale casual dining. It is not an "Outback" but it is close.

http://www.bulliesbbq.com/menu1.html If I am not making my own BBQ this is where I go and they are by far and above the best place in the whole of Medina Ohio.

www.lagerheads.us/ is another local establishment to me, they are the other non chain Q place in Medina. and they are way more biker friendly. No one in B-town does Q that I know of. Medina has a Lowerys BBQ and near b-town they have Old Carolina BBQ comapny (both are chain stores).

So long and short - some prices are a little high or a little low but from what I can tell for a one off a week they are pretty in line.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

An update. I agreed to a deal with the owner and fixed alot of the pricing thanks for all the input everybody. We will be setting a start date here soon. I will let everyone know how is goes.